- Air Quality Action Day for August 3rd 2018
Air Quality Action Day for August 3rd 2018
Thursday, August 2,
2018, 4:00 pm
Friday, August 3,
2018, 11:59 pm
The City of Lawton has received notice from the Oklahoma Department of Environmental Quality (ODEQ) that an “Air Quality Action Day” is issued for Friday, August 3, 2018 due to potentially elevated ozone levels.
Air Quality Action Day Tips
On days which reach the unhealthy for sensitive groups level on the Air Quality Index (AQI) it is recommended that active children and adults, especially those with respiratory diseases, such as asthma, should avoid outdoor activities.
You can help reduce air pollution by:
- Limiting your driving by riding the LATS ($0.75 adult fares on Air Quality Action days), walking, bicycling, or carpooling.
- If you must drive, plan your activities so your trips can be combined. Vehicles pollute the most during the first few miles of driving, as the engine warms up. You can cut down on those “cold starts” by combining your trips.
- If you must fill your vehicle’s gas tank, do it early in the morning before temperatures heat up.
- If you must drive, turn off your auto air conditioner, at least on the way to work in the morning.
- Do not use drive-through windows where you are forced to idle.
- Make sure gas caps on autos, lawn mowers and other equipment seal properly.
- Take your lunch to work rather than driving somewhere. If you drive, go with several co-workers so fewer cars will be used.
- Abstain from using oil-based paints, solvents, cleaners or varnishes.
- Conserve energy in the house to reduce energy needs. Shut your blinds and close off rooms that do not need to be air-conditioned. Turn off unneeded lights and appliances.
- Postpone mowing or using edgers, trimmers, or other gasoline powered equipment, or use electric or manual equipment.