Board of Adjustment (BOA)Board
The Board of Adjustment (BOA) exists to:
1. Hear and decide appeals where it is alleged there is error in any order, requirement, decision or determination made by a planning or zoning official in the enforcement of any zoning ordinance.
2. Hear and decide an appeal of any decision by the architectural review committee for the downtown Lawton overlay district denying a certificate of architectural conformance for a proposed project. The actions to decide the appeal by the board shall be bound by Section 18-2-1-207 of City Code.
3. Hear and decide special exceptions to the terms of the city's zoning ordinances as hereinafter enumerated in Section 18-209 of City Code.
4. hear and authorize in specific cases such variances from the terms of the city's zoning ordinances as are allowed under Section 18-212 and Section 18-213 of City Code.
5. Upon proper application to hear and decide an appeal to grant an exception to termination of a nonconforming structure, nonconforming use or a conforming structure on a nonconforming lot as provided for in Chapter 7 of this of City Code and to permit the restoration of a nonconforming structure, a conforming structure containing a nonconforming use, or a conforming structure on a nonconforming lot damaged by fire, explosion, natural causes or a public enemy by more than fifty percent (50%) of its replacement value.
The BOA meets on the second Friday of each month. The board consists of five members: four nominated by the Mayor and appointed by the City Council, and one city planning commission member. Each member serves a 3-year term.
City of Lawton
212 SW 9th Street
NOTE: Members cannot be contacted by applicants prior to public hearings.