ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION:
- Records financial transactions and reconciles assigned accounts on set standards. Maintain both general and special leDgers of receipts and expenditures.
- Prepares various schedules, summaries, analyses for use in compiling financial reports. Balances assigned accounts.
- Assists in closing funds at fiscal year-end. This involves making all necessary corrections, accruals and entries to bring records from Oklahoma State Statute required cash accounting to GAAP and GASB standards of accrual accounting in accordance with GASB 34.
- Work with assigned external auditors for City. Assist in preparing trial balances and statements. Provide information and assistance to ensure a successful audit.
- Assist in the preparation of the annual City budget. Compile expenditure sections under direction of supervisor. Edit the preliminary budget as approved by the City Council and directed by supervisor.
- Compose and edit a variety of correspondence and reports for supervisor, Finance Director, City Manager and the City Council.
- Assists in investing funds for the City and general employee retirement system.
- Prepares reports for Financial Services Supervisor, Finance Director, City Manager and City Council. These reports could also include mandatory information required by the IRS, Social Security Administration and the annual census reports. Compiles and compares information.
- Handles customer inquiries and problems related to accounts.
- Maintains financial security by following internal accounting controls.
- Have a general knowledge of purchasing procedures and rules.
- May maintain and monitor payroll distribution system, verifying data, code numbers and approvals.
To perform this job satisfactorily, the individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of advanced accounting and auditing procedures and practices.
- Working knowledge of computers and electronic data processing.
- Knowledge of manual and automated financial systems
- Knowledge of governmental accounting principles and practices and GASB (Governmental Accounting Standards Board)
- Knowledge of financial reporting in conformity with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain successful working relationships.
- Ability to work under pressure and/or frequent interruptions.
- Ability to prepare accurate and complex financial reports and statements
- Ability to resolve problems or situations requiring the exercise of good judgment
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other City employees and the public
- Skill in analyzing and interpreting records and financial statements.
- Skill in designing and maintaining complex spreadsheets and databases.
Experience and Training Guidelines
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
- Two or more years of responsible municipal accounting experience are necessary to be able to perform this position.
- Must be bondable (No criminal or civil record such as bankruptcy that prevent bonding).
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration or a closely related field;
License or Certification:
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate valid Oklahoma Driver's License.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE POSITION:
The physical demands described here are representative of those which must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk; use hands to operate, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to twenty-five (25) pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus. Sufficient manual dexterity to operate a typewriter, computer keyboard, and calculator.
- Frequent hand-eye coordination is necessary to operate various pieces of office equipment, often requiring repetitive hand-arm coordination and movements.
- Frequently use manual dexterity sufficient to operate a computer keyboard
- Continuously, required to talk or hear; and sit;
- Frequently required to stand or walk;
- Continuously see details at a distance, up close and peripherally, including using depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus, use close vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately quiet.
- The employee normally works in an office where the environment is frequently quiet.
This position requires the ability to maintain effective working relationships with department heads and other city employees. Must be able to communicate with vendors and with other government agencies to obtain and provide information.
First Application Review:
The first application review date will commence on September 25, 2020. All application submitted after that date will be placed in a separate folder awaiting the outcome of the initial review. Should none of the original applicants be selected, the second set will be available for review.
The duties listed in this description are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Lawton affords equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability status or genetic information. Persons selected for employment into any position must pass a drug test. Some positions may require passing an alcohol test. Previous employment and any additional experience will be subject to verification prior to employment processing. A driver’s license and driving record check will be conducted if driving is a job requirement. A post offer employment medical examination may be conducted prior to job placement.
How To Apply ?
Note: You need to have Adobe Reader installed on your device to complete the application. Download and complete the attached application in Adobe Reader. Instructions to submit application is mentioned in the application form.