ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF POSITION:
The following functions are those that are representative of this position within the City of Lawton. Some departments/divisions may not require all of the functions.
- Performs routine clerical and administrative work in answering phones, receiving the public, providing customer assistance, data processing and department budget and expenditure records.
- Answers in-coming calls and routes callers or provides information as required.
- Operates radios and assists in radio communications, if required.
- Receives the public and answers questions; responds to inquiries from employees, citizens and others and refers, when necessary, to appropriate persons.
- Assists in the procurement of departmental materials and supplies.
- Operates a variety of office machines including personal computers, printers, scanners, CDROMS, fax machines, postage machines, and copy machines.
- Prepares and monitors various types of work orders, requisitions and invoices.
- Receives, stamps, and distributes incoming mail, processes outgoing mail.
- Composes, types, and edits a variety of correspondence, reports, memoranda, and other material requiring judgment as to content, accuracy, and completeness.
- Inputs data to standard office and departmental forms; makes simple postings to accounts; compiles data for various reports.
- Reviews office budget accounts and writes requisitions to arrange payments.
- Affixes signatures and seals as directed by the department director or in accordance with standard office policy.
- Plans conferences and training sessions; coordinates travel plans for departmental staff members.
- Prepares records such as notices, minutes, and resolutions.
- Acts as custodian of departmental documents and records. Establishes and maintains filing systems, controls records and indexes using moderate independent judgment.
- Maintains and prepares all department staff personnel records.
- Prepares agenda packets, takes minutes and prepares Council agenda items for the Traffic Commission and the Building Development Appeals Board.
- Maintains inventories and orders office supplies and materials, maintains copies of departmental personnel records.
- Schedules appointments, and performs other administrative and clerical duties
- Operates a vehicle to run errands.
- Balances daily money received by the department and prepares daily deposit forms.
To perform this job satisfactorily, the individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Graduation from a high school or GED equivalent with specialized course work in general office practices such as typing, filing, accounting and bookkeeping, and two years of increasingly responsible related experience; or any equivalent combination of related education and experience.
- Skill in the operation of the following tools and equipment: telephone; computer terminal; personal computer including word processing, spreadsheet and database software; scanner; fax machine; copy machine; postage machine; calculator; radio; cell phone.
- Working knowledge of computers and electronic data processing; working knowledge of modern office practices and procedures; some knowledge of accounting principles and practices.
- Ability to perform duties accurately; ability to effectively meet and deal with the public; ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
This position also requires the completion of a typing and spelling test that is administered through the Lawton Workforce Center, 1711 SW 11th Street, Lawton, OK 73501.
- Appointments for typing tests must be made by calling Workforce at 580-357-3500
- Scores must be submitted with the application.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS ON THE POSITION:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus
ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
The personal contacts are typically with employees of different departments, external agencies, and the general public. The purpose of the contacts is to answer questions requiring explanation or limited interpretation of standard procedures. May involve some hostility.
First Application Review:
The first application review date will commence on March 8, 2021 All application submitted after that date will be placed in a separate folder awaiting the outcome of the initial review. Should none of the original applicants be selected, the second set will be available for review.
The duties listed in this description are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Lawton affords equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability status or genetic information. Persons selected for employment into any position must pass a drug test. Some positions may require passing an alcohol test. Previous employment and any additional experience will be subject to verification prior to employment processing. A driver’s license and driving record check will be conducted if driving is a job requirement. A post offer employment medical examination may be conducted prior to job placement.
How To Apply ?
Note: You need to have Adobe Reader installed on your device to complete the application. Download and complete the attached application in Adobe Reader. Instructions to submit application is mentioned in the application form.