ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF POSITION:
- Compose, type, format, finalize, interpret, transcribe, distribute, research, compile, calculate, analyze, process and maintain data in various forms using a variety of office equipment and software applications, including spreadsheets and databases. This includes correspondence, agendas, minutes, reports, memoranda, and forms.
- Prepare and review material for action and initiate final distribution of records, files or information.
- Analyze office equipment needs, prepare justifications for purchase, generate supply/service requisitions and supervise maintenance of inventory records. Purchase and maintain adequate inventory levels for various office supplies and materials.
- Schedule and coordinate meetings, maintain appointment calendars and contact attendees. May coordinate activities with other City departments, the public or outside agencies.
- Greet visitors, answer customer calls or requests and document problems and resolutions.
- Review, evaluate and analyze a variety of complex administrative issues and determine appropriate courses of action that may include changes to administrative processes
- Answer office correspondence or draft replies to complex correspondence
- Make travel arrangements including reservations and ticket purchases
- Assist with preparation of budgets and maintain budgetary records, to include tracking expenses, requisition supplies/services and track purchase orders.
- Establish and maintain filing systems in a variety of medium including confidential records.
- Coordinate the flow of paperwork
- Monitor work in progress, supply and service agreements/contracts and determine level of performance compared to established standards and timelines.
- Handle confidential matters concerning major City or departmental policy.
- Attend meetings or work sessions and develop reports on the proceedings to reflect the major points discussed, actions to be taken and other results that were produced.
- Some positions may perform supervisory duties of other clerical staff or in the absence of the director handle matters not requiring executive disposition.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of customer service, quality and team concepts.
- Knowledge of City and department policies and procedures sufficient to be able to determine routine actions necessary.
- Knowledge of grammar, spelling punctuation and sentence structure sufficient to be able to compose and/or edit correspondence or reports.
- Knowledge of budget documents sufficient to be able to monitor expenditures.
- Knowledge of mathematics sufficient to be able to perform a variety of calculations
- Knowledge of bookkeeping practices and methods
- Knowledge of principles and practices of employee supervision and training.
- Ability to operate microcomputers, related equipment and various microcomputer software in a Windows networking environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to use good interpersonal skills to establish and maintain effective working relations with other employees, organizations and the public.
- Skill in Microsoft Office Professional
- Skill in facilitating highly confidential matters related to the department or City policy
- Skill in exercising initiative, judgment and decisions making in meeting organizational objectives
- Skill in maintaining and organizing files that allows information to be retrieved quickly.
- Skill in operating a telephone system and screening calls.
- Skill in independently adapting, interpreting and applying written guidelines.
- Skill in establishing priorities, coordinating work activities and performing numerous projects at various stages of completion.
Experience and Training Guidelines
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
- Five (5) years or more of progressively responsible support staff experience
- Two (2) years or more of finance or accounting experience preferred
- High school diploma or GED equivalent
- Administrative, finance, or accounting training from technical school or college hours in respective fields preferred.
- Type at 40 WPM (net) or greater preferred
License or Certification:
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate valid Oklahoma Driver's License.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS ON THE POSITION:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Frequent hand-eye coordination is necessary to operate various pieces of office equipment, often requiring repetitive hand-arm coordination and movements.
- Frequently use manual dexterity sufficient to operate a computer keyboard.
- Frequently sits, remaining in the normal seated position
- Frequently talk and listen, express or exchange ideas and perceive the nature of sounds by the ear.
- Frequently required to stand or walk;
- Frequently see details at a distance, up close and peripherally, including using depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus, use close vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Occasionally lift or carry objects weighing up to 20 pounds.
- Occasionally work with arms above shoulder level
- Occasionally bend and stoop repeatedly or continually over time
ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee normally works in an office where the environment is frequently quiet.
- Office work environment is characterized by frequent interruptions.
The personal contacts are typically with employees of different departments, external agencies, or with the general public. The purpose of the contacts is to plan and coordinate work efforts; provide input and advice, and resolve problems by influencing and motivating. The persons contacted typically have mutual goals and basically cooperative attitudes.
First Application Review:
The first application review date will commence on March 5, 2021. All application submitted after that date will be placed in a separate folder awaiting the outcome of the initial review. Should none of the original applicants be selected, the second set will be available for review.
The duties listed in this description are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Lawton affords equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability status or genetic information. Persons selected for employment into any position must pass a drug test. Some positions may require passing an alcohol test. Previous employment and any additional experience will be subject to verification prior to employment processing. A driver’s license and driving record check will be conducted if driving is a job requirement. A post offer employment medical examination may be conducted prior to job placement.
How To Apply ?
Note: You need to have Adobe Reader installed on your device to complete the application. Download and complete the attached application in Adobe Reader. Instructions to submit application is mentioned in the application form.