ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF POSITION:
- Compose, type, format, finalize, interpret, transcribe, distribute, research, compile, calculate, analyze, process and maintain data in various forms using a variety of office equipment and software applications, including spreadsheets and databases. This includes correspondence, agendas, minutes, reports, memoranda, and forms.
- Prepare and review material for action and initiate final distribution of records, files or information.
- Analyze office equipment needs, prepare justifications for purchase, generate supply/service requisitions and supervise maintenance of inventory records. Purchase and maintain adequate inventory levels for various office supplies and materials.
- Schedule and coordinate meetings, maintain appointment calendars and contact attendees. May coordinate activities with other City departments, divisions, the public or outside agencies.
- Review, evaluate and analyze a variety of complex administrative issues and determine appropriate courses of action that may include changes to administrative processes
- Greet visitors, answer customer calls or requests and document problems and resolutions.
- Answer office correspondence or draft replies to complex correspondence.
- Make travel arrangements including reservations and ticket purchases.
- Maintain financial records, to include but is not limited to tracking expenses, requisition supplies/services and track purchase orders, notifying supervisor of discrepancies and providing solution-based feedback.
- Establish and maintain filing systems in a variety of media (i.e. hard copy, digital, etc.).
- Monitor work in progress, supply and service agreements/contracts and determine level of performance compared to established standards and timelines.
- Coordinate the flow of interoffice correspondence.
- Safeguard the confidentiality, privacy, and/or integrity of sensitive operational matters that may be communicated to or through the Community Services Director’s office both verbally and in writing.
- Interact with multiple levels of municipal government, to include elected officials, in a professional manner.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and abilities, along with the experience, training and licensing/certifications that have been deemed necessary for this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of customer service, quality and team concepts.
- Knowledge of City and department policies and procedures sufficient to be able to determine routine actions necessary.
- Knowledge of grammar, spelling, punctuation and sentence structure sufficient to be able to compose and/or edit official business correspondence or reports.
- Knowledge of budget documents sufficient to be able to monitor expenditures.
- Knowledge of mathematics sufficient to be able to perform a variety of calculations
- Knowledge of bookkeeping practices and methods.
- Knowledge of the Open Meeting Act and the requirements related to the preparation and posting/publishing of meeting notices and agenda packets.
- Ability to represent self in a professional manner and maintain office decorum.
- Ability to operate microcomputers, related equipment and various microcomputer software in a Windows networking environment.
- Ability to effectively communicate with other professionals both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to use good interpersonal skills to establish and maintain effective working relations with other employees, organizations and the public while maintaining flexibility and professionalism.
- Skill in Microsoft Office Professional to include but not limited to word processing, desktop publishing, project management, spreadsheets, and database management.
- Skill in taking, recording and preparing the minutes of meetings for both formal and informal City committees and organizations.
- Skill in facilitating highly confidential matters related to the department or City policy
- Skill in exercising an exceptional degree of initiative, judgment and decision-making abilities in achieving organizational objectives under limited supervision.
- Skill in maintaining and organizing files that allows information to be retrieved quickly.
- Skill in operating a telephone system and screening calls.
- Skill in independently adapting, interpreting and applying written guidelines.
- Skill in establishing priorities, coordinating work activities and performing numerous projects at various stages of completion.
- Skill in dealing with people tactfully, with discretion and good judgment
Experience and Training Guidelines
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities may quality. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
- Five (5) years or more of progressive responsibilities in a senior support staff environment
- High school diploma or GED equivalent (minimum)
- Administrative training, college hours or a combination of training and experience in administrative support above the minimum requirement preferred.
- Type at 40 WPM (net) or greater
License or Certification:
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate valid Oklahoma Driver's License.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE POSITION:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Frequent hand-eye coordination is necessary to operate various pieces of office equipment, often requiring repetitive hand-arm coordination and movements.
- Frequently use manual dexterity sufficient to operate a computer keyboard.
- Frequently sits, remaining in the normal seated position
- Frequently talk and listen, express or exchange ideas and perceive the nature of sounds by the ear.
- Frequently required to stand or walk;
- Frequently see details at a distance, up close and peripherally, including using depth perception, close vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Occasionally lift or carry objects weighing up to 20 pounds.
- Occasionally work with arms above shoulder level
- Occasionally bend and stoop repeatedly or continually for a period of time
ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee normally works in an office where the environment is frequently quiet.
- This office is a multi-tasking environment, requiring timely and appropriate responses.
The personal contacts are typically with employees of different departments, external agencies, elected officials or with the general public. The purposes of these contacts is to plan and coordinate work efforts; provide input and advice, and resolve problems by influencing and motivating relative to the essential job functions of the position. The persons contacted typically have mutual goals and basically cooperative attitudes; however they may demonstrate aggressive tendencies and will require conflict management through patience and self-control.
As an employee with the City of Lawton, you will receive various benefits in addition to your base salary. Some of those benefits are:
- Paid Vacation Yearly (after 6 months of employment)
- 12 Paid Holidays (8 hard holidays and 5 flex days)
- 96 hours of sick leave per year
- Partial premium payment for Health Insurance through Blue Cross Blue Shield of Oklahoma
- Health Saving Account (HSA) is available
- Medical Flexible Spending Accounts available
- Dental Insurance coverage through Blue Cross Blue Shield of Oklahoma is available
- Vision Insurance coverage through Blue Cross Blue Shield utilizing the EYEMED network is available
- Life Insurance and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance provided
- Many other Employee paid optional supplemental benefits
- Retirement through Oklahoma Municipal Retirement Fund (OkMRF)
- 3.5% Employee Defined Contribution Plan - 3.5% City match
- 7 years 100% vested
- Voluntary 457 Plans available through ICMA Retirement Corporation or Nationwide
First Application Review:
The first application review date will commence on June 4, 2021 All application submitted after that date will be placed in a separate folder awaiting the outcome of the initial review. Should none of the original applicants be selected, the second set will be available for review.
The duties listed in this description are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Lawton affords equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability status or genetic information. Persons selected for employment into any position must pass a drug test. Some positions may require passing an alcohol test. Previous employment and any additional experience will be subject to verification prior to employment processing. A driver’s license and driving record check will be conducted if driving is a job requirement. A post offer employment medical examination may be conducted prior to job placement.
How To Apply ?
Note: You need to have Adobe Reader installed on your device to complete the application. Download and complete the attached application in Adobe Reader. Instructions to submit application is mentioned in the application form.