This position is assigned to the Animal Welfare Division, which is located within the compound of the City of Lawton Public Works Department facilities located at 2100 SW 6th Street.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF POSITION:
- Keeps necessary records documenting euthanasia, inventory and required reports.
- Knowledge of and skill in applying standard animal husbandry techniques and procedures specific to the assigned work area.
- Skill in the safe use of standard animal restraint equipment, laboratory equipment and supplies.
- Ability to work independently and accurately when performing assigned tasks.
- Ability and willingness to conduct euthanasia procedures according to established protocol and guidelines to include record keeping of all medications used.
- Ability and knowledge to handle wildlife and large animals.
- Ability to use specialized animal capture equipment.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Conducts public speaking programs for the purpose of promoting responsible pet ownership at public schools, neighborhood watch meetings and civic organizations.
- High school diploma or GED equivalency; at least (3) years experience as a kennel worker, veterinarian assistant or similar position working with animals.
- Possession of a valid Oklahoma drivers license at date of hire or valid drivers license from state of residency.
- Possession of or ability to obtain a state animal euthanasia certificate within 6 months of hire.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with peers, supervisors and the general public.
- Thorough knowledge of acceptable husbandry techniques. Knowledge of small animal/livestock behavior.
- Ability to communicate clearly and tactfully, orally and in writing. Skill in communicating with tack and diplomacy.
- Ability to interpret ordinances and explain provisions thereof to the public.
- Ability to work with animals without fear. Willingness to work with sick and/or vicious animals. Skill in handling animals.
- Rabies pre-exposure and hepatitis B vaccines.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE POSITION:
The physical demands described here are representative of those, which must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Regularly:Is required to sit, speak, listen, read, write, and various other office related functions. Must be able to lift up to 100 lbs.
Frequently: Required to reach, handle, finger, grasp, speak, see (shape/size/distance/ motion/color), climb, lift and/or carry containers weighing up to 50 pounds.
Occasionally: Is required to pick up donations from local citizens and/or businesses.
ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The work environmental characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Frequently: Outside exposed to heat, cold, humidity, rain, etc.
Regularly: Subject to working on slippery surfaces.
- Exposed to steady and fairly loud noises.
- Possibility of exposure to zoonotic and/or infectious diseases.
- Frequent contact with water at various work sites.
- Subject to working in cramped positions while working with caged animals.
- Exposed to allergens such as bee/wasp stings, pollen, cat and dog hair, etc.
- Exposed to chemical irritants such as cleaning solutions, bleach, etc.
- Exposed to large concentrations of noxious odors such as those caused by dead and decaying animals.
- Exposed to toxic as well as caustic chemicals.
- Subject to working irregular hours, including overtime, weekends, and holidays.
Occasionally: Subject to out-of-town travel regarding educational/training or providing assistance to county law enforcement agencies.
First Application Review:
The first application review date will commence on April 2, 2021. All application submitted after that date will be placed in a separate folder awaiting the outcome of the initial review. Should none of the original applicants be selected, the second set will be available for review.
This position is a “safety sensitive” position as defined by the US DOT drug and alcohol testing regulations, the Oklahoma Standards for Workplace Drug and Alcohol Testing Act and/or Oklahoma Medical Marijuana laws. The “safety sensitive” positions in the following categories may be subject to periodic random drug testing pursuant to City of Lawton Administrative Policy 3-02: Drug & Alcohol Free Workplace. Marijuana is one of the substances included in the drug panel screening. Possession of a medical marijuana license will not excuse you from the testing process, or the consequences of testing positive for marijuana. The categories listed are inclusive of City of Lawton jobs only.
- Police Officers or Peace Officers;
- Employees authorized to carry firearms;
- Employees with drug interdiction responsibilities;
- Employees that work in direct contact with inmates;
- Employees engaged in activities which directly affect the safety of others.
The duties listed in this description are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Lawton affords equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability status or genetic information. Persons selected for employment into any position must pass a drug test. Some positions may require passing an alcohol test. Previous employment and any additional experience will be subject to verification prior to employment processing. A driver’s license and driving record check will be conducted if driving is a job requirement. A post offer employment medical examination may be conducted prior to job placement.
How To Apply ?
Note: You need to have Adobe Reader installed on your device to complete the application. Download and complete the attached application in Adobe Reader. Instructions to submit application is mentioned in the application form.