NOTE: There are currently 2 positions OPEN.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF POSITION:
- Spreads concrete into inaccessible areas of forms with rake or shovel.
- Levels concrete to specified depth and workable consistency, with hand held screed and floats to bring water to the surface and produce soft topping.
- Smoothes and shapes surfaces of freshly poured concrete.
- Finishes concrete surfaces or wets and rubs concrete with abrasive stone to impart finish.
- Removes rough or defective spots from concrete surface, and patches holes with fresh concrete or epoxy compound.
- Produces rough concrete surface with broom.
- Repair safety hazards identified on concrete and asphalt streets.
- Build concrete handicapped ramps to ADA Standards using truncated dome panels.
- Molds expansion joints and edges.
- Sprinkles colored stone chips, powdered steel, or colored powder on concrete to produce prescribed finish.
- Remove failed areas in concrete and asphalt pavements. Replace with concrete or asphalt to City specifications as needed.
- Mixes cement with hoe or concrete-mixing machine.
- Directs sub grade work, mixing of concrete and setting of forms.
- Signals concrete deliverer to position truck to facilitate pouring concrete.
- Operates hand and power tools when necessary; performs heavy and semi-skilled construction and maintenance work and manual labor when the nature of the job does not require constant concrete and finishing work.
- Builds and repairs catch basins, drainage structures and similar improvements. This includes brickwork.
To perform this job satisfactorily, the individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Graduation from high school or GED supplemented by formal technical training in cement finishing and two years experience in cement finishing; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Skill in the operation of the following tools and equipment: screeds; floats; various hand and power tools; concrete saw; automobile; backhoe; light dump truck.
- Knowledge of mixing and proportioning of concrete and the methods, practices and materials used in the construction of streets, sidewalks, gutters, curbs, catch basins and other concrete work; knowledge of the use and purposes of hand and power tools; knowledge of the principles of leadership; knowledge of safety hazards and how to avoid them.
- Ability to patch various types of cement surfaces; ability to build forms and pour cement; ability to understand and follow oral and written directions; ability to work cooperatively with others; ability to perform heavy manual labor; ability to be a team leader; ability to operate concrete saw, backhoe and light dump truck; ability to interpret and work from sketches and specifications; ability to set-up curb, gutter and radius forms and to read grade cuts.
- Possession of valid Oklahoma Operator's license.
Regularly: Required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Required to bend, stoop, crawl, kneel, push and pull. The employee must lift and or move up to 50 pounds. Operate an automobile. Regular repetitive motion to include arms, hands, fingers and back.
Frequently: Required to stand and walk. The employee must lift and or move up to 80 pounds. Exposed to heat/cold.
Occassionally: Lift or carry up to 100 pounds. Exposed to moisture, dampness and humidity and airborne dust.
Rarely: Climbs. Rarely exposed to moderate noise levels.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Lawton affords equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability status or genetic information. Persons selected for employment into any position must pass a drug test. Some positions may require passing an alcohol test. Previous employment and any additional experience will be subject to verification prior to employment processing. A driver’s license and driving record check will be conducted if driving is a job requirement. A post offer employment medical examination may be conducted prior to job placement.
How To Apply ?
Option 1: Online - Adobe PDF
Note: You need to have Adobe Reader Installed on your device to submit the application online. Download or complete the attached application.
Option 2: By Mail
Return all completed application material to :Human Resources Department
212 SW 9th St
Lawton, OK 73501
Application material must be submitted no later than 5 p.m. on the closing date (postmark alone is insufficient). The closing date is listed on the job announcement or the application material.
Option 3: In Person
The Human Resources Department is located on the 2nd Floor inside City Hall.Human Resources Department
212 SW 9th St
Lawton, OK 73501