The Cemetery Sexton falls under the direction of the Parks and Recreation Department and works from the Highland Cemetery.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF POSITION:
- Schedules burials, sells plots, coordinates plot ownership with City Clerk, orders grave openings and closings, records all burials, processes burial records, researches burial records and surveys lots for location of graves.
- Consults with families and funeral homes and assists in site selection and receives payments for lot sales.
- Prepares daily timesheets, submits budget requests, and keeps daily records of work orders and purchases.
- Plans daily operation of Cemetery, directs employees in daily duties, trains employees in the operation and safe use of all equipment, oversees and assists in the maintenance and cleaning of all Cemetery equipment and tools.
- Provides recommendations for equipment, supplies, and materials needed for effective Cemetery operation.
- Assists in motivating and evaluating personnel by acting as a liaison between employees and other City supervisors, and other duties assigned by the Parks and Grounds Administrator or Department Director.
TASKS SPECIFIC TO THE CEMETERY SEXTON:
- Operates Cemetery equipment as required to assure complete work.
- Coordinates with the Highland Cemetery Board on a range of items dealing with the Cemetery operation.
- Designs plot plans and landscaping designs for the Highland Cemetery.
- Maintains burial placement records for the Highland Cemetery.
- Answers questions and provides information to other staff and the public about the Cemetery operation, maintenance and upkeep, and rules and regulations.
- To perform this job successfully, and individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Graduation from High School or GED equivalent, and five years experience related to the construction, repair and maintenance of cemetery or related systems, including the operation of related maintenance equipment; or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Thorough knowledge of equipment, facilities, materials, methods and procedures used in cemetery systems, considerable knowledge of the laws and ordinances affecting cemetery operations and real estate laws affecting cemetery plots; some knowledge of landscaping methods, techniques and materials.
- Skill in the operation of the following tools and equipment: motorized vehicles and equipment, including dump truck, pickup truck, utility truck, backhoe, tamper, plate compactor, saws, pumps, compressors, sanders, trencher, common hand and power tools, shovels, wrenches. Skill in use of mobile radio, phone, personal computer including word processing and other software, copy and fax machine.
- Ability to guide, direct and motivate assigned employees; ability to operate and maintain various equipment used in cemetery maintenance and repair; ability to organize and supervise the activities of various crews; ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other departments and the public.
- Valid Oklahoma driver’s license.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS ON THE POSITION:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to stand and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk, sit, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and smell.
ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works in outside weather conditions. The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals.
The noise level in the work environment is usually loud in field settings, and moderately quiet in office settings.
Has direct contact with subordinate employees, other divisions, the public and agencies involved with the Cemetery for the purpose of planning and coordinating work efforts; providing advice; and resolving problems by influencing and motivating.
First Application Review:
The first application review date will commence on September 21, 2020. All application submitted after that date will be placed in a separate folder awaiting the outcome of the initial review. Should none of the original applicants be selected, the second set will be available for review.
The duties listed in this description are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Lawton affords equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability status or genetic information. Persons selected for employment into any position must pass a drug test. Some positions may require passing an alcohol test. Previous employment and any additional experience will be subject to verification prior to employment processing. A driver’s license and driving record check will be conducted if driving is a job requirement. A post offer employment medical examination may be conducted prior to job placement.
How To Apply ?
Note: You need to have Adobe Reader installed on your device to complete the application. Download and complete the attached application in Adobe Reader. Instructions to submit application is mentioned in the application form.