Salary: Will be negotiable depending on experience and knowledge. Stated bi-weekly rate above is a minimum.
NOTE: There are currently 2 Civil Engineering positions OPEN
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF POSITION:
- Administers various consulting engineering contracts for the City to include contract preparation, development of technical requirements, and time frames; reviews plans and specifications prepared by the consultant; approves pay estimates; insures compliance of plans with standards of engineering practice and applicable City, State, and Federal regulations and requirements; coordinates bidding process; administers projects through the construction phase and the Maintenance Bond period.
- Regularly serves as Project Engineer/Manager for sanitary sewer, water, storm drainage, street and other municipal public works projects; designs projects and prepares plans/specifications; writes project related agenda items for review by the City Council; performs agency coordination for applicable State/Federal permits; reviews construction bids; recommends contract awards; reviews work for compliance with plans and specifications; reviews and approves contract pay estimates and change orders; recommends final acceptance of projects to the City Council.
- Frequently reviews private development projects, including subdivisions, building permits, flood plain permits and similar items for compliance with codes/regulations/standards, adequacy of applications for permits and compliance with approved plans.
- Regularly utilizes AutoCAD and Eagle Point programs for project plan preparation.
- Regularly determines applicable codes, regulations and requirements for assigned projects.
- Frequently assures as-built records of projects and documents necessary changes for the operation and maintenance programs.
- Frequently writes standard specifications, contract documents and prepares standard details for use on City projects.
- Occasionally performs flood plain modeling using HEC Programs and water system modeling using KY pipe programs.
- Master’s degree preferred or graduation from a four-year college or university with a degree in civil engineering or closely related field and a minimum of two years professional civil engineering experience with municipal infrastructure improvements or closely related experience.
- Registration in Oklahoma as a Professional Engineer or the ability to obtain registration in Oklahoma by reciprocity within one year of employment.
- Thorough knowledge of civil engineering principles, practices and methods as applicable to a municipal setting; considerable knowledge of applicable City policies, laws and regulations affecting Division activities.
- Knowledge of AutoCAD, Eagle Point, KY pipe and HEC computer programs.
- Considerable skill in developing cost estimates on complex projects.
- Skill in operating the following tools and equipment: personal computer, motor vehicle, phone and mobile radio.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, with employees, consultants, other governmental agency representatives, City officials and the general public.
- Ability to conduct necessary engineering research and compile comprehensive reports.
- Possession of a valid Oklahoma drivers license at date of hire or valid drivers license from state of residency.
- Must be physically capable of moving about on construction work sites and under adverse field conditions.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS ON THE POSITION:
Work is performed mostly in office settings. Some outdoor work is required in the inspection of various land use developments, constructions sites, or public work facilities. Hand-eye coordination is necessary to operate drafting instruments, computers and various pieces of office equipment.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, talk, hear and smell.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
This document is a temporary management guide tool and is subject to change. The duties listed in this description are intended only as illustrations of various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them form the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Lawton affords equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability status or genetic information. Persons selected for employment into any position must pass a drug test. Some positions may require passing an alcohol test. Previous employment and any additional experience will be subject to verification prior to employment processing. A driver’s license and driving record check will be conducted if driving is a job requirement. A post offer employment medical examination may be conducted prior to job placement.
How To Apply ?
Note: You need to have Adobe Reader installed on your device to complete the application. Download and complete the attached application in Adobe Reader. Instructions to submit application is mentioned in the application form.