Salary: $58,000.00 to $78,000.00 Annually DOQ
Effective August 12, 2021, all applicants hired by the City of Lawton will be required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. If the applicant is not fully vaccinated prior to their hiring date, the employee will have ninety (90) days to become fully vaccinated for COVID-19. If the employee fails to become fully vaccinated within the ninety (90) days, it shall be grounds for termination. Proof of vaccination will be required and a copy placed in the employees medical file.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Acts as liaison to the media and spokesperson for the City.
- Establishes, develops and maintains contact with media, professional and civic organizations and other special interest groups to promote the City of Lawton.
- Proactive media and community relations, through the writing, reviewing and editing of news releases, newsletters, emails, articles, postings, publications and scripts.
- Develops, implements, and maintains an effective public information program and coordinates public relations activities for City Council and City departments.
- Assists and counsels elected officials and department heads concerning public relations aspects of policies, practices, procedures, programs, and actions.
- Proactively promotes City accomplishments and activities.
- Be available 24/7 for emergency incidents and also in non-traditional work hours for presence at various special events and meetings, and serve as lead on the City’s Emergency Operations Center PIO Team.
- Develops and executes communication plans for various City campaigns, both internally and externally.
- Provides and coordinates media training to management and employees as requested or needed.
- Facilitates broadcast and telephone interviews with the media as well as responses to email inquiries.
- Manages City use of third-party communication websites and social media sites.
- Development and maintenance of a strategic communications plan to support the City’s mission and goals.
- Facilitates and responds to citizen inquiries and complaints.
- Prepare and review special interest publications, exhibits, videotapes, newsletters, news releases, brochures, pamphlets, fliers and other marketing pieces for various departments; work includes writing, editing, coordinating development of copy and data, proofreading, coordinating images, printing proof approvals, and serving as photographer for the City.
- Research, write, and participate in the development of and approval of content for various multimedia productions (e.g. PSA, graphic design, video projects, slide shows, internet, Website, etc.).
- Ensure consistency with the City brand and oversee protection of the organization’s cultural identity.
- Plan, execute and evaluate the City’s marketing plan on an annual basis.
- Oversee coordination of special events and special media events.
- Creation of communication strategies for various events that the City participates in or sponsors.
- Coordinate and carry out a wide variety of special projects.
- Perform all work duties and activities in accordance with City policies and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in public relations, journalism, mass communications or related field or any combination of education and experience.
- At least two (2) years in a public relations position or position in a similar field.
- Minimum of five (5) years experience in professional work.
- Ability to oversee and motivate staff and volunteers either directly or through others.
- Working knowledge of social media platforms, graphic design, and photography.
- Ability to communicate in a clear and concise manner, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to manage multiple projects with competing timelines, establish priorities, and meet project deadlines.
- Communicate one-on-one or before groups for the purpose of obtaining or providing information.
- Desktop publishing experience
- Valid driver’s license.
- Active in public information organizations.
- Experience in a municipal government setting.
CITY OF LAWTON BENEFITS:
As an employee with the City of Lawton, you will receive various benefits in addition to your base salary. Some of those benefits are:
- Paid Vacation Yearly (after 6 months of employment)
- 12 or 13 Paid Holidays (7 or 8 hard holidays and 5 flex days)
- 96 hours of sick leave per year
- Partial premium payment for Health Insurance through Blue Cross Blue Shield of Oklahoma
- Health Saving Account (HSA) is available
- Medical Flexible Spending Accounts available
- Dental Insurance coverage through Blue Cross Blue Shield of Oklahoma is available
- Vision Insurance coverage through Blue Cross Blue Shield utilizing the EYEMED network is available
- Life Insurance and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance provided
- Many other Employee paid optional supplemental benefits
- Retirement through Oklahoma Municipal Retirement Fund (OkMRF)
- 3.5% Employee Defined Contribution Plan - 3.5% City match
- 7 years 100% vested
- Voluntary 457 Plans available through ICMA Retirement Corporation or Nationwide
First Application Review:
The City of Lawton is posting this position as Open Until Filled, however, application review will commence immediately.
The duties listed in this description are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Lawton affords equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability status or genetic information. Persons selected for employment into any position must pass a drug test. Some positions may require passing an alcohol test. Previous employment and any additional experience will be subject to verification prior to employment processing. A driver’s license and driving record check will be conducted if driving is a job requirement. A post offer employment medical examination may be conducted prior to job placement.
How To Apply ?
Note: You need to have Adobe Reader installed on your device to complete the application. Download and complete the attached application in Adobe Reader. Instructions to submit application is mentioned in the application form.