ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF POSITION:
- Cleans, repairs and paints metal containers of various sizes by the use of AC/DC welder, acetylene welder, wire feed welder, acetylene cutting, plasma cutter, paint systems and various hand held tools.
- Repairs/replaces casters, lids and container lift bar.
- Delivering and picking up containers for service requests and/or deletion.
- Records container serial number, size and location container delivered to or picked up from.
- Responsible for leading and supervising personnel in same area of assignment.
- Change out cables on Roll-on/Roll-off truck and packer truck.
- Assist in repair of minor hydraulic and electrical problems on equipment.
- Assist in repair/replacement of turn buckles, rollers, pins, bolts, pivot points and welding of cracks or broken joints on packer bodies.
- Acquiring quotes, ordering and receiving small tools, equipment and supplies for the division.
- On occasion may be assigned to operate packer truck on a residential or commercial crew. May occasionally operate Roll-on/Roll-off truck. May on occasion be assigned to sanitation worker duties on a residential or commercial crew.
Education and Experience:
- Graduation from high school or GED equivalent or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Five (5) years experience in the field of welding and metal fabricating knowledge in the use of small hand tools such as saws, drills, grinders, sanders, etc.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards of the trade and of appropriate precautionary measures.
- Knowledge of traffic laws and regulations in the operation of the various class of vehicles utilized in the Solid Waste Collection field.
- Possession of a valid Oklahoma driver’s license and possession of or the ability to obtain a Class "B" Oklahoma Commercial driver’s license within 6 months of date of hire.
- Ability to operate forklifts and truck mounted cranes.
- This position requires successful completion of a City of Lawton physical examination and drug screen as condition of employment.
The Solid Waste Collection division is located within the compound of the City of Lawton Public Works Department facilities located at 2100 SW 6th Street. Container Maintenance Worker II primarily performs his/her duties within the confines of the Public Works yard, but occasionally performs duties at various locations throughout the City.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE POSITION:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Regularly: Required to see, hear, use hands to finger, handle and feel. Required speak, stand, walk, bend, stoop, twist, turn, push, pull, climb and lift and move up to forty (50) pounds.
Occasionally:Required to push, pull, lift and move up to one hundred (100) pounds.
Rarely: Required to exerting up to 40 pounds of force frequently and up to 100 pounds of force on an occasional basis to lift, move, push, pull or otherwise move objects including the human body.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to see, hear, use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to speak, stand, walk, bend, stoop, twist, turn, push, pull and climb. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to forty (40) pounds and occasionally with assistance push, pull and/or lift and move up to one hundred (100) pounds. Specific vision requirements include close vision, distant vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
ENVIRONMENTAL DEMANDS OF THE POSITION:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
Frequently: Works near moving mechanical parts or in outside weather conditions.
Occasionally: Exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes, toxic or caustic chemicals.
The noise level in the work environment is moderately noisy which requires hearing protection. While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently works in outside weather conditions. The employee regularly uses small tools and equipment and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and vibrations. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes and airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is frequently loud.
This document is a temporary management guide tool and is subject to change. The duties listed in this description are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Lawton affords equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability status or genetic information. Persons selected for employment into any position must pass a drug test. Some positions may require passing an alcohol test. Previous employment and any additional experience will be subject to verification prior to employment processing. A driver’s license and driving record check will be conducted if driving is a job requirement. A post offer employment medical examination may be conducted prior to job placement.
How To Apply ?
Option 1: Online - Adobe PDF
Note: You need to have Adobe Reader Installed on your device to submit the application online. Download or complete the attached application.
Option 2: By Mail
Return all completed application material to :Human Resources Department
212 SW 9th St
Lawton, OK 73501
Application material must be submitted no later than 5 p.m. on the closing date (postmark alone is insufficient). The closing date is listed on the job announcement or the application material.
Option 3: In Person
The Human Resources Department is located on the 2nd Floor inside City Hall.Human Resources Department
212 SW 9th St
Lawton, OK 73501