Salary: E1 - $58,000.00 to $75,000.00 DOQ
Effective August 12, 2021, all applicants hired by the City of Lawton will be required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. If the applicant is not fully vaccinated prior to their hiring date, the employee will have ninety (90) days to become fully vaccinated for COVID-19. If the employee fails to become fully vaccinated within the ninety (90) days, it shall be grounds for termination. Proof of vaccination will be required and a copy placed in the employees medical file.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Acts as a proxy for the Director as needed in his or her absence.
- Develop and execute short-term and long-term plans to assure a successful and efficient workforce for the City of Lawton.
- Coordinate the development and delivery of comprehensive professional development programs tailored to the unique needs of the City of Lawton.
- Collaborates with the Director to sustain, promote, and grow departmental programs and services.
- Make recommendations and work collaboratively across all departments to develop effective training programs.
- Creates and manages the annual calendar of activities such as special events and similar projects.
- Assists in drafting changes to Chapter 17 of Lawton City Code, policies and procedures, and ensuring compliance with applicable local, state, and federal laws or guidelines.
- Identify, develop, deliver, and monitor innovative and creative training materials and methodologies, and supporting documentation for instructor-led, online, and blended learning programs.
- Develop and support department training projects.
- Manage and communicate training requirements to City of Lawton staff.
- Monitor mandatory training compliance of City of Lawton staff.
- Provide assistance to Human Resources staff on any training issues.
- Coordinate/arrange training logistics (i.e., trainers, schedule, rooms).
- Working with the hiring managers to coordinate and discuss hiring activities, while maintaining internal customer relations; guiding the interview process, ensuring fair and equitable hiring decisions are made and documented appropriately.
- Recruiting for a variety of high volume, technical, specialized, and professional positions; developing innovative strategies to increase the quantity, quality, and diversity of the candidate pool; utilizing a variety of recruitment tactics, such as ad posting, brochures, job fairs and social media resources; tracks the effectiveness of posting and advertising resources and develops partnerships with recruitment and selection organizations.
- Screening and reviewing candidates' applications to determine qualifications, skills, experience education, and knowledge.
- Serving as the primary point of contact for candidates and hiring managers throughout the recruitment cycle; answering questions and coordinating follow-up efforts as needed.
- Facilitate Fire and Police application process to include recruiting, testing, interviewing and selection of candidates.
- Facilitate Fire and Police promotional process testing in accordance with current Collective Bargaining Agreements.
- Maintaining a working knowledge of State and Federal employment laws, EEO, and Affirmative Action.
- Drafts routine documents including letters, memorandums, or other types of documents and correspondence.
- Uses initiative and discretion in accomplishing routine assignments with minimum supervision.
- Performs other duties as required.
To perform this job satisfactorily, the individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Thorough knowledge of Human Resource principles, practices and methods.
- Attention to detail in composing, typing and proofing materials; establishing priorities; and meeting deadlines
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and the general public.
- High level of interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Must possess a high level of cognitive skills. Ability to operate within a Political Sphere.
- Considerable skill in maintaining objectives while remaining within budget.
- Must possess a valid Oklahoma driver's license or have the ability to obtain one prior to employment.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
Education and Experience:
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university.
- Three years of experience in a human resources capacity.
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience.
- One year of experience in employee training.
- PHR or SPHR certification preferred.
- Three years experience in a HR setting.
- Ability to take initiative when working alone on projects.
- Experience with employee recruitment, onboarding, and retention.
CITY OF LAWTON BENEFITS:
As an employee with the City of Lawton, you will receive various benefits in addition to your base salary. Some of those benefits are:
- Paid Vacation Yearly (after 6 months of employment)
- 12 or 13 Paid Holidays (7 or 8 hard holidays and 5 flex days)
- 96 hours of sick leave per year
- Partial premium payment for Health Insurance through Blue Cross Blue Shield of Oklahoma
- Health Saving Account (HSA) is available
- Medical Flexible Spending Accounts available
- Dental Insurance coverage through Blue Cross Blue Shield of Oklahoma is available
- Vision Insurance coverage through Blue Cross Blue Shield utilizing the EYEMED network is available
- Life Insurance and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance provided
- Many other Employee paid optional supplemental benefits
- Retirement through Oklahoma Municipal Retirement Fund (OkMRF)
- 3.5% Employee Defined Contribution Plan - 3.5% City match
- 7 years 100% vested
- Voluntary 457 Plans available through ICMA Retirement Corporation or Nationwide
The personal contacts are typically with key officials or representatives of organizations that could have an unusually significant impact on the programs and policies involved in the work. The purpose of the contacts is to justify, defend, negotiate, or settle matters involving problems or issues of considerable consequence, importance, or controversy. The persons contacted typically have diverse viewpoints, goals or objectives requiring the employee to achieve a common understanding of the problem and satisfactory solution by convincing them, arriving at a compromise, or developing suitable alternatives.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Minimal physical effort is required. Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Occasional standing, walking, and driving.
- Occasional lifting of small boxes not to exceed 25 pounds.
The work environment is relatively comfortable and is normally performed in an indoor setting. The employee must be able to tolerate stressful situations such as meeting deadlines, irate employees/visitors, and maintaining control over diverse activities. Occasional travel to job fairs is required.
First Application Review:
The first application review date will commence immediately upon receipt of application. All application submitted after that date will be placed in a separate folder awaiting the outcome of the initial review. Should none of the original applicants be selected, the second set will be available for review.
The duties listed in this description are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Lawton affords equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability status or genetic information. Persons selected for employment into any position must pass a drug test. Some positions may require passing an alcohol test. Previous employment and any additional experience will be subject to verification prior to employment processing. A driver’s license and driving record check will be conducted if driving is a job requirement. A post offer employment medical examination may be conducted prior to job placement.
How To Apply ?
Note: You need to have Adobe Reader installed on your device to complete the application. Download and complete the attached application in Adobe Reader. Instructions to submit application is mentioned in the application form.