ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION:
Enforces National Electrical Codes, including the ICC building code and the IRC one and two family dwelling code, and local electrical codes. Checks and monitors state and local electrical contractor, journeyman and apprentice licenses. Issues stop work orders, violation notices and citations.
- Performs electrical inspections examining for the right size of panels, correct uses and sizes of conductors, for correct number of circuits, for correct numbers and location of switches, etc. to insure that national codes are adhered to.
- Maintains records of electrical inspection activity, and completes related reports. Issues certificates and permits as appropriate.
- Assists in researching problems and complaints regarding commercial and residential buildings, building construction and electrical code compliance. Responds to complex and sensitive building issues.
- Assists in resolving complex and sensitive customer service issues, personally, by telephone, and in writing; maintains records and documents of customer service issues and resolutions.
- Interprets codes in the field; authorizes acceptable alternate methods of code compliance within limits of authority.
- Investigates code compliance complaints; resolves or refers complaints to appropriate staff; recommends the initiation of abatement procedures when appropriate.
- Attend reconstruction meetings in order to explain inspection standards and procedures to architects, engineers, owners, contractors, and developers.
- Assists in administering the permitting function, including application processing, fee assessment and collection, and permit issuance.
- Explains, interprets, and provides guidance regarding all applicable codes within area of responsibility to architects, engineers, contractors, developers, and other interested parties.
- Assist the Building Development Board of Appeals as needed by providing required information.
- Perform the duties of an Electrical Plans Examiner, Building Inspector, Plumbing Inspector, or Mechanical Inspector as needed and qualified.
- Able to react to change productively and handle other tasks as assigned.
- To perform this job satisfactorily, the individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Graduation from a standard high school or GED equivalency, with at least five (5) years experience as a journeyman electrician. Two (2) years of the experience may substituted by education at an accredited technical center in the electrical trade.
- Thorough knowledge of National Electrical Codes or related general construction codes; and a thorough knowledge of commercial and residential electrical systems, and some knowledge of mechanical systems, carpentry work, cement work, or plumbing.
- Ability to effectively inspect electrical systems.
- Skill in the use and operation of the following tools and equipment: Personal computer, including word processing and permitting software; motor vehicle; 10-key calculator; portable radio; phone; various hand tools and electrical testing equipment.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with employees, supervisors, contractors architects, engineers, owners and the general public.
- Ability to read and understand complicated electrical plans and blueprints; ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- A valid Oklahoma drivers license.
- Nationally recognized residential and commercial electrical inspector certification and State of Oklahoma unlimited electrical inspectors license or the ability to obtain one within twenty (24) months of employment.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS ON THE POSITION:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed both in office settings and outdoors. The outdoor work is required in the inspection of various land use developments and construction sites. Hand-eye coordination is necessary to operate computers and other pieces of equipment.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, feel, or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee routinely works in outside weather conditions. The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and in high, precarious places and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, airborne particles, or the risk of electrical shock.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet in the office, and moderate to loud in the field.
The personal contacts are typically with employees of different departments, external agencies, and the general public. The purpose of the contacts is to answer questions requiring explanation or limited interpretation of standard procedures. May involve some hostility.
First Application Review:
The first application review date will commence on April 21, 2021. All application submitted after that date will be placed in a separate folder awaiting the outcome of the initial review. Should none of the original applicants be selected, the second set will be available for review.
This position is a “safety sensitive” position as defined by the US DOT drug and alcohol testing regulations, the Oklahoma Standards for Workplace Drug and Alcohol Testing Act and/or Oklahoma Medical Marijuana laws. The “safety sensitive” positions in the following categories may be subject to periodic random drug testing pursuant to City of Lawton Administrative Policy 3-02: Drug & Alcohol Free Workplace. Marijuana is one of the substances included in the drug panel screening. Possession of a medical marijuana license will not excuse you from the testing process, or the consequences of testing positive for marijuana. The categories listed are inclusive of City of Lawton jobs only.
Police Officers or Peace Officers;
- Employees authorized to carry firearms;
- Employees with drug interdiction responsibilities;
- Employees that work in direct contact with inmates;
- Employees engaged in activities which directly affect the safety of others.
The duties listed in this description are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Lawton affords equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability status or genetic information. Persons selected for employment into any position must pass a drug test. Some positions may require passing an alcohol test. Previous employment and any additional experience will be subject to verification prior to employment processing. A driver’s license and driving record check will be conducted if driving is a job requirement. A post offer employment medical examination may be conducted prior to job placement.
How To Apply ?
Note: You need to have Adobe Reader installed on your device to complete the application. Download and complete the attached application in Adobe Reader. Instructions to submit application is mentioned in the application form.