ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION:
- Operates trucks from pick-up to dump truck size in the loading, hauling and unloading of various equipment, materials and supplies. Operates medium duty equipment, mowers, tractors and brush hog, backhoe, weedeaters, chainsaws, and trimmers and occasionally operates a motor grader.
- Occasionally operates welder, table saw, drills, and all other power tools for carpentry. Assists in the repair and construction of shelters, picnic tables, gates, piers, docks, fences.
- Performs routine inspection and preventative maintenance on assigned vehicles, tools and equipment. Repairs minor repairs to equipment and reports larger defects or needed repairs to Supervisor. Performs custodial work when required.
- Supervises seasonal/temporary workers.
- Graduation from High School or GED equivalent.
- Four years experience working with light equipment and medium duty equipment.
- Knowledge of operating and servicing trucks and related automotive equipment.
- Knowledge of traffic laws and regulations involved in equipment operation.
- Knowledge of tractors, light and heavy-duty trucks and specialized equipment.
- Ability to work in all types of weather and ability to work independently.
- Possession of valid driver’s license and a Class "B" Oklahoma Commercial driver’s license or pass the written test within 30 days and successfully complete the driving test prior to 6 months from date of hire.
- Ability to obtain a State pesticide service tech license within the first twelve (12) month of employment.
- Knowledge of and ability to operate motorized vehicles and equipment, including dump truck, pick-up truck, compressors, generators, large tractor and bat wing mower, backhoe, and common hand and power tools.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE POSITION:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls and reach with the hands and arms. The employee is required to walk, sit, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to ten (10) pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to one hundred (100) pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distant vision, clear and peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in outside weather conditions, and is exposed to all weather extremes. The employee usually works in and around traffic and works near moving mechanical parts. The employee must be able to operate equipment and drive vehicles in ALL weather, traffic and surface conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud accompanied by jolting and vibration.
The employee comes in contact with citizens and employees of other divisions. Employee must be able to communicate with the supervisor involving work related jobs and with citizens about the general nature of the work being accomplished.
First Application Review:
The first application review date will commence on November 20, 2020. All application submitted after that date will be placed in a separate folder awaiting the outcome of the initial review. Should none of the original applicants be selected, the second set will be available for review.
This position is a “safety sensitive” position as defined by the US DOT drug and alcohol testing regulations, the Oklahoma Standards for Workplace Drug and Alcohol Testing Act and/or Oklahoma Medical Marijuana laws. The “safety sensitive” positions in the following categories may be subject to periodic random drug testing pursuant to City of Lawton Administrative Policy 3-02: Drug & Alcohol Free Workplace. Marijuana is one of the substances included in the drug panel screening. Possession of a medical marijuana license will not excuse you from the testing process, or the consequences of testing positive for marijuana. The categories listed are inclusive of City of Lawton jobs only.
- Police Officers or Peace Officers;
- Employees authorized to carry firearms;
- Employees with drug interdiction responsibilities;
- Employees that work in direct contact with inmates;
- Employees engaged in activities which directly affect the safety of others.
FMCSA-DOT Clearinghouse Requirement
Licensed commercial drivers are required to register and create a profile with the Federal Motor Carrier Clearinghouse at https://clearinghouse.fmcsa.dot.gov/register. Positive drug screen information shall be reported in the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s Clearinghouse. Periodic queries shall be ran on all commercial licensed drivers.
The duties listed in this description are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Lawton affords equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability status or genetic information. Persons selected for employment into any position must pass a drug test. Some positions may require passing an alcohol test. Previous employment and any additional experience will be subject to verification prior to employment processing. A driver’s license and driving record check will be conducted if driving is a job requirement. A post offer employment medical examination may be conducted prior to job placement.
How To Apply ?
Note: You need to have Adobe Reader installed on your device to complete the application. Download and complete the attached application in Adobe Reader. Instructions to submit application is mentioned in the application form.