ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION:
- Maintains cash drawer; takes utility payments and makes change.
- Processes payments through the computer for payments received from customers either in the mail, in the drop boxes, or in the office. Balances payment stubs with checks and cash received and completes daily cash reconciliation forms.
- Opens mail and drop payments and prepares for posting to utility accounts.
- Assists customers who request account adjustments for leaks, unexplained high consumptions, billing factor changes, meter or meter box maintenance issues, etc.
- Assists customers with improperly prepared bills.
- Posts water deposits and services charges.
- Establishes utility account in system for new customers who have not had previous service with the City.
- Handles customer account changes, including transfers, name changes and turn-on and turn-off procedures.
- Handles a variety of customer problems and complaints by phone and for walk-in customers.
- Using a computer terminal, re-establishes delinquent accounts as active when the customer makes proper payment.
- Completes adjustment forms to increase or decrease water bills following established procedures.
- Establishes payment agreements on past due accounts and monitors progress of compliance with agreements.
- Authorizes discontinuance of service at locations where payment agreements are not satisfied.
- Answers questions and responds to complaints from customers about commercial and multi-unit residential service and charges.
- Performs standardized clerical duties as defined by office procedures.
- Inputs initial and final meter readings, meter information and service information into the computer for utility accounts.
- Closes accounts and orders meter pulled for people who may be illegally using water.
- Sets accounts up in computer for initial service for new construction residences or businesses.
- On routine basis, reviews account collection reports, sends collection letters, tracks payment of amounts due, and sends report to outside agency for pursuance of further collections procedures.
- Prepares billing letters for manually billed utility customers and for related billings to customers from the Public Works Department.
- Accompanied by Lawton Police Officer, may be responsible to take deposit to bank.
- May be trained as back-up person for Head Cashier.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Graduation from an accredited high school or General Equivalency Degree with two years experience in a related occupation.
- Ability to read at 12th grade level.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations at 12th grade level.
- Proficiency in MS Office Software.
- Ability to perform simple accounting procedures.
- Knowledge of procedures for maintaining cash drawer, including daily balancing, making change and taking utility deposits.
- Knowledge of preparing payment entries on a computer terminal, including the balancing of bills to cash in drawer.
- Knowledge of entering account information on computer terminal.
- Ability to plan and organize work effectively.
- Ability to work steadily and quickly.
- Ability to effectively and tactfully communicate with customers.
- Ability to receive verbal abuse without losing composure.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Possession of a valid Oklahoma driver’s license and a suitable driving record.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is required to walk, use hands to finger, handle, or operate objects, tools or controls, and reach with hands and arms.
The employee must occasionally lift and or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is normally quiet. This position is subject to verbal abuse that may be received when dealing with irate customers both on the telephone and in person.
ADDITIONAL POSITION INFORMATION:
First Application Review:
The first application review date will commence on July 16, 2021. All application submitted after that date will be placed in a separate folder awaiting the outcome of the initial review. Should none of the original applicants be selected, the second set will be available for review.
The duties listed in this description are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
CITY OF LAWTON BENEFITS:
As an employee with the City of Lawton, you will receive various benefits in addition to your base salary. Some of those benefits are:
- Paid Vacation Yearly (after 6 months of employment)
- 12 or 13 Paid Holidays (7 or 8 hard holidays and 5 flex days)
- 96 hours of sick leave per year
- Partial premium payment for Health Insurance through Blue Cross Blue Shield of Oklahoma
- Health Saving Account (HSA) is available
- Medical Flexible Spending Accounts available
- Dental Insurance coverage through Blue Cross Blue Shield of Oklahoma is available
- Vision Insurance coverage through Blue Cross Blue Shield utilizing the EYEMED network is available
- Life Insurance and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance provided
- Many other Employee paid optional supplemental benefits
- Retirement through Oklahoma Municipal Retirement Fund (OkMRF)
- 3.5% Employee Defined Contribution Plan - 3.5% City match
- 7 years 100% vested
- Voluntary 457 Plans available through ICMA Retirement Corporation or Nationwide
Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Lawton affords equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability status or genetic information. Persons selected for employment into any position must pass a drug test. Some positions may require passing an alcohol test. Previous employment and any additional experience will be subject to verification prior to employment processing. A driver’s license and driving record check will be conducted if driving is a job requirement. A post offer employment medical examination may be conducted prior to job placement.
How To Apply ?
Note: You need to have Adobe Reader installed on your device to complete the application. Download and complete the attached application in Adobe Reader. Instructions to submit application is mentioned in the application form.