ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF POSITION:
- Insures the proper maintenance of equipment and tools by cleaning and checking equipment and tools after use. Performs routine inspection and preventive maintenance on assigned equipment and refers defects or needed repairs to supervisor; cleans equipment.
- Performs all duties in conformance to appropriate safety and security standards.
- Performs required labor involved in construction and maintenance projects as part of a crew, pavement cutting, ditch digging, line cleaning, main and pipe repair, laying and backfilling, service connections, clearing right of way, finishing concrete, building fence, laying sewer line on grade, etc. Makes sewer service connections to sewer mains, including setting manholes, laying asphalt, building fence, etc.
- Operates vehicles of various sizes and weights in the loading, hauling and unloading of various equipment, materials and supplies. Operates vehicles and equipment in the construction, maintenance and repair of streets, storm drainage systems, sewer systems and in the installation, maintenance.
- Uses equipment for digging and leveling in the construction, maintenance and repair of ditches, streets and storm drainage systems; and for hoisting and loading tools, materials and equipment. Cuts, fits, lays, repairs, taps, and grade rock for installation of sewer pipe.
- Performs routine inspection and preventative maintenance on assigned trucks and equipment. Keeps assigned trucks and equipment clean. Performs service to and makes repairs on assigned equipment. Insures proper maintenance of all equipment assigned. Major defects are referred to supervisor.
- Serves as ground guide as required. Assists in closing streets for construction. Operates a survey level and laser during construction projects as required, knowledge on how to set up and use a pipe laser and grade sticks. Determines the locations of water lines and sewer lines from the appropriate sources prior to excavation. Enters confined spaces.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Graduation from high school education or GED equivalent preferred, and Two (2) years of experience relating to construction, maintenance, or repair, or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Some knowledge of equipment, facilities, materials, methods and procedures used in maintenance, construction and repair activities;
- Skill in operation of some of the following tools and equipment: Motorized vehicles and equipment, including dump truck, pickup truck, utility truck, street roller, lift truck, tamper, plate compactor, saws, pumps, aerial propane kettle, compressors, sanders, generators, common hand and power tools, shovels, wrenches, detection devices, mobile radio, phone, ditch witch, backhoes, skid steer loaders, tractors, front end loader.
- Ability to perform heavy manual tasks for extended periods of time; Ability to work safely; Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing; Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other departments and the public; Ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions. Ability to perform mathematical calculations at 12th grade level.
- Valid Oklahoma Driver's license.
- Possession of a Class “D” Wastewater certification from the Oklahoma Department of Environmental Quality or the ability to obtain one within one year of date of employment.
- Knowledge in safety while working around all utilities such as electric, gas, cable, telephone.
- Knowledge of the standard procedures of utilizing the OKIE One Call system.
- Skill in operation of listed tools and equipment. Ability to operate medium to heavy size equipment
- Ability to understand and follow oral or written instruction at 12th grade level and to give oral instruction; ability to observe proper safety precautions; ability to establish effective working relationships with other employees, supervisors and the public; ability to perform heavy manual tasks under varying conditions; ability to classify soils and perform competently on excavation sites; ability to assess the job at hand and make necessary changes or corrections keeping in line with standard procedures.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE POSITION:
Regularly: Required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Frequently: Required to stand and talk or hear, walk, sit, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and smell. The employee must frequently lift and or move up to 50 pounds.
Occasionally: Smell materials to better identify or insure purity (lack of contamination). The employee must occasionally lift and or move up to 100 pounds.
ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
Regularly: Works near moving mechanical parts or in outside weather conditions and in trenches and confined spaces
Occasionally: Exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, vibration, fumes, toxic or caustic chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is moderately noisy which requires hearing protection. Works in high, precarious places and is exposed to fumes and risk of electrical shock.
This document is a temporary management guide tool and is subject to change. The duties listed in this description are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Lawton affords equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability status or genetic information. Persons selected for employment into any position must pass a drug test. Some positions may require passing an alcohol test. Previous employment and any additional experience will be subject to verification prior to employment processing. A driver’s license and driving record check will be conducted if driving is a job requirement. A post offer employment medical examination may be conducted prior to job placement.
How To Apply ?
Option 1: Online - Adobe PDF
Note: You need to have Adobe Reader Installed on your device to submit the application online. Download or complete the attached application.
Option 2: By Mail
Return all completed application material to :Human Resources Department
212 SW 9th St
Lawton, OK 73501
Application material must be submitted no later than 5 p.m. on the closing date (postmark alone is insufficient). The closing date is listed on the job announcement or the application material.
Option 3: In Person
The Human Resources Department is located on the 2nd Floor inside City Hall.Human Resources Department
212 SW 9th St
Lawton, OK 73501