ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF POSITION:
- Insures the proper maintenance of equipment and tools by cleaning and checking equipment and tools after use. Performs routine inspection and preventive maintenance on assigned equipment and refers defects or needed repairs to supervisor; cleans equipment.
- Performs all duties in conformance to appropriate safety and security standards.
- Performs required labor involved in construction and maintenance projects as part of a crew, pavement cutting, ditch digging, line cleaning, main and pipe cutting, fitting, laying and repair, grading and backfilling, service connections, clearing right of way, finishing concrete, building fence, laying sewer line on grade, etc. Makes service connections to water and sewer mains, including setting manholes, laying asphalt, building fence, etc. Flushes water lines, gates, fire hydrants and fittings; assists in shutting off broken sections of mains.
- Operates vehicles of various sizes and weights in the loading, hauling and unloading of various equipment, materials and supplies. Operates vehicles and equipment in the construction, maintenance and repair of streets, storm drainage systems, water distribution, and sewer systems.
- Uses equipment for digging and leveling in the construction, maintenance and repair of ditches, streets and storm drainage systems; and for hoisting and loading tools, materials and equipment.
- Performs routine inspection and preventative maintenance on assigned trucks and equipment. Keeps assigned trucks and equipment clean. Performs service to and makes repairs on assigned equipment. Insures proper maintenance of all equipment assigned. Major defects are referred to supervisor.
- Serves as ground guide as required. Assists in closing streets for construction. Operates a survey level and laser during construction projects as required, knowledge on how to set up and use a pipe laser and grade sticks. Determines the locations of water lines and sewer lines from the appropriate sources prior to excavation. Enters confined spaces.
- Assists in response to reports of water leaks, pressure loss, or no water and with informing the public of water outages.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Graduation from high school education or GED equivalent preferred, and Two (2) years of experience relating to construction, maintenance, or repair, or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Some knowledge of equipment, facilities, materials, methods and procedures used in maintenance, construction and repair activities;
- Skill in operation of some of the following tools and equipment: Motorized vehicles and equipment, including dump truck, pickup truck, utility truck, backhoe, track hoe, front end loader, street roller, lift truck, hydrohammer, trencher, rod motor, jet rodder, tamper, plate compactor, saws, pumps, aerial propane kettle, compressors, sanders, generators, common hand and power tools, shovels, wrenches, detection devices, mobile radio, phone, ditch witch, skid steer loaders, and tractors.
- Ability to perform heavy manual tasks for extended periods of time; Ability to work safely; Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing; Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other departments and the public; Ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions. Ability to perform mathematical calculations at 12th grade level.
- Ability to classify soils and perform competently on excavation sites; ability to assess the job at hand and make necessary changes or corrections keeping in line with standard procedures.
- Possession of valid driver’s license and CDL certification with a Class "B" Oklahoma Commercial driver’s license or pass the written test within 30 days and obtain one within six (6) months of employment.
- Possession of a Class “D” Wastewater certification from the Oklahoma Department of Environmental Quality or the ability to obtain one within one year of date of employment.
- Knowledge of safety while working around all utilities such as electric, gas, cable, telephone.
- Knowledge of the standard procedures of utilizing the OKIE One Call system.
- Skill in operation of listed tools and equipment. Ability to operate medium to heavy size equipment
This position is a “safety sensitive” position as defined by the US DOT drug and alcohol testing regulations, the Oklahoma Standards for Workplace Drug and Alcohol Testing Act and/or Oklahoma Medical Marijuana laws. As a “safety sensitive” employee, you will be subject to drug and alcohol testing, including random testing. Marijuana is one of the substances included in the drug panel screening. Possession of a medical marijuana license will not excuse you from the testing process, or the consequences of testing positive for marijuana.
The duties listed in this description are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Lawton affords equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability status or genetic information. Persons selected for employment into any position must pass a drug test. Some positions may require passing an alcohol test. Previous employment and any additional experience will be subject to verification prior to employment processing. A driver’s license and driving record check will be conducted if driving is a job requirement. A post offer employment medical examination may be conducted prior to job placement.
How To Apply ?
Note: You need to have Adobe Reader installed on your device to complete the application. Download and complete the attached application in Adobe Reader. Instructions to submit application is mentioned in the application form.