ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF POSITION:
- Receives and works daily work orders from the billing section and uses vehicle for customer water service regarding re-reads, cut-offs, turn-ons, meter changes, checks for leaks, and verifying billing units for accounts.
- Reads and copies initial (turn-on) or final (turn-off) water meter readings to computer printout forms and turns them in to billing daily.
- Checks for customer water leaks by re-reading water meters and copying readings for verification of excessive high or low customer usage and provides information to Full Service Representatives and explanations to customers when necessary.
- Occasionally reads water meter routes and explains water meter reading system and procedure to customers.
- Reports any water leaks or potential water maintenance problems encountered during service work.
- Reports any noticeable or potential City field problems concerning public works or public safety hazards.
- Repairs, cleans, installs new dials, reprograms and replaces water meters.
- Replaces broken meter box lids, cleans meter boxes, raises meter boxes and raises meters by riser installation.
- Records changes and repairs to a particular meter and records the information in the meter change-out book.
- Uses laptop computer in the field to retrieve work assignments and enter related data.
- Uses PC and/or laptop computer to look up information regarding customer accounts and meter information.
- Inspects new taps to City water mains made by licensed plumbers for smaller size meters.
- Prints the Delinquent List daily for cut-off of service for those accounts with past due balances.
- Checks assigned vehicle each day through an operational maintenance routine which includes checking tires, fuel levels, motor oil, radiator and battery water and corrects deficiencies such as adding fluids when required and changing tires when flat.
- Periodically washes and cleans vehicles both inside and outside to maintain cleanliness and appearance.
- Maintains assigned tools and keeps tools in working order.
- Assists in training newly hired Meter Service Workers.
Other Duties or Responsibilities
- May be required to stand in for Meter Services Field Supervisor in his absence.
To perform this job satisfactorily, the individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to obtain a DEQ Class “D” Water Distribution certification within one (1) year of date of hire.
- Graduation from high school or GED equivalent and at least one year of experience in reading meters or similar responsibilities. Possession of valid Oklahoma driver’s license
- Ability to read at the 12th grade level.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations at the 12th grade level.
- Skill in following standard procedures for installing, changing, removing, and servicing water meters according to department norms and skill in recording information accurately.
- Skill in training newly hired Meter Service Workers.
- Knowledge of street names, numbering system and geography of city.
- Knowledge of standard procedures for checking excessive high or low customer water usage and the ability to accurately communicate results to customers.
- Knowledge of standard procedures for working cut-off lists.
- Knowledge of standard procedures for inspecting and testing customer's water system.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license.
- Ability to use hand tools, power tools and test equipment properly and safely.
- Ability to use tact and diplomacy in dealing with the public and with irate customers.
- Ability to read and record information accurately
,by manually writing or by use ofentering data by use of electronic reading equipment, PC or laptop computer.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards involved in the work and the safety precautions necessary to perform the work safely.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, employees in other departments, and with the public.
- Ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
Receives assignments and completes paperwork in the Meter Service Field Supervisor’s office in Revenue Services Division in City Hall. Works outdoors from City vehicle most of the workday. Will also work at times in meter room in warehouse in City Hall Annex.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS ON THE POSITION:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, and use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls. The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, and to talk or hear.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
May be required to work after hours as the on-call service or maintenance provider for emergency requests for service and for scheduled service or maintenance work not completed during regular work hours. May also be required to assist after hours with pursuit of illegal water usage investigations.
ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in outside weather conditions. The employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock, chemical irritants, insect bites, poison ivy, and vicious animals.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately quiet.
This position may be subject to verbal abuse that may be received when dealing with irate customers.
None, unless assigned as Acting Meter Service Field Supervisor or assigned to train new employee.
The employee performs duties under the direction of the Meter Service Field Supervisor who provides continuing or individual assignments by indicating generally what is to be done, limitations, quality and quantity of work expected, deadlines and priority of assignments. The supervisor gives additional, specific instructions for new, difficult or unusual assignments. The employee uses initiative in carrying out recurring assignments independently without specific instructions. The supervisor assures that the work is technically accurate and in compliance with instructions or established procedures.
The duties listed in this description are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Lawton affords equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability status or genetic information. Persons selected for employment into any position must pass a drug test. Some positions may require passing an alcohol test. Previous employment and any additional experience will be subject to verification prior to employment processing. A driver’s license and driving record check will be conducted if driving is a job requirement. A post offer employment medical examination may be conducted prior to job placement.
How To Apply ?
Option 1: Online - Adobe PDF
Note: You need to have Adobe Reader Installed on your device to submit the application online. Download or complete the attached application.
Option 2: By Mail
Return all completed application material to :Human Resources Department
212 SW 9th St
Lawton, OK 73501
Application material must be submitted no later than 5 p.m. on the closing date (postmark alone is insufficient). The closing date is listed on the job announcement or the application material.
Option 3: In Person
The Human Resources Department is located on the 2nd Floor inside City Hall.Human Resources Department
212 SW 9th St
Lawton, OK 73501