ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF POSITION:
- Regularly involves responsibility for the entire operation of the water treatment plant on an assigned shift. These responsibilities include inspection of equipment such as pumps, valves, chemical feed systems, air compressors, filters, transmitting and recording instruments, controlling systems and all other appurtenances at a water treatment plant.
- Regularly responsible for ensuring that the plant is in full compliance with all state and federal requirements.
- Regularly responsible for laboratory analysis of water entering and leaving the plant on their assigned shift.
- Regularly required to analyze, record results and exercise judgment in making adjustments of machinery, equipment and related control systems in accordance with established operating procedures and standards.
- Regularly clean and maintain the water treatment plant and its related facilities.
- Regularly receive and unload all chemicals and supplies.
- Assists in the training of new plant operators.
- Operates storage gates on Ellsworth and Lawtonka.
- Cleans the intake structure of trash.
- Assists in grounds keeping jobs such as mowing, weed eating and trash pickup.
- Assists in cleaning of basins and tanks with fire hoses.
- Assists mechanics in minor maintenance activities as needed.
- Performs other duties and tasks as assigned by supervisor.
Education and Experience:
- Graduation from a standard high school or possess a G.E.D.
- Experience in the operation of electrical and mechanical equipment similar to that used in a treatment plant.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the general operating principles of electrical and mechanical equipment similar to the type used in a water treatment plant.
- Knowledge of the safe practices and procedures for handling and using all laboratory reagents and chemicals associated with a water treatment plant.
- Ability to understand and accurately follow operating and recording procedures.
- Ability to detect faulty operating characteristics in equipment and possess the ability to institute remedial action.
- Ability to write legibly and understand written and oral instructions.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers. Able to read and perform mathematical calculations at a 12th grade level.
- Ability to work and complete task unsupervised or with limited supervision.
- Possession of a valid Oklahoma drivers license.
- Possession of or the ability to obtain a class “D” Water certification and a Class “C” Water Lab certification from the Oklahoma Department of Environmental Quality within one year of date of hire.
- Physically and medically capable of working using a positive pressure self contained breathing apparatus or respirator.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE POSITION:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Regularly: Required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. The employee must be tolerant of heights.
Frequently:Required to stand and talk or hear, walk, sit, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and smell.
Occasionally: The employee must occasionally lift and or move up to 50 pounds.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently works in outside weather conditions, and is exposed to all weather extremes. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and fingers
to handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls and reach with hands and arms. The employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is regularly required to stand, walk or sit and frequently required to climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to (50) pounds and rarely lift and/or move up to one hundred (100) pounds with assistance. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distant vision, clear and peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The environmental factors and working conditions described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Frequently: Works near moving mechanical parts or in outside weather conditions.
Frequently: Exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes, toxic or caustic chemicals.
Occasionally: The noise level in the work environment is moderately noisy which requires hearing protection.
While performing the essential functions of this job, the employee frequently works near moving and vibrating mechanical parts. The employee rarely works in high, precarious places; is occasionally exposed to fumes or air borne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals and is rarely exposed to risk of electrical shock. The employee will occasionally be exposed to wet or humid conditions and will frequently be exposed to outside weather conditions of extreme heat or cold with occasional ice or snow. The employee may be required to work during hours of darkness and will occasionally be near heavy vehicle traffic. The employee will occasionally be working in or near excavations or confined spaces. The noise level of the work environment is quiet in the office, moderately quiet in the service vehicle, but is noisy in the field.
First Application Review:
The first application review date will commence on December 11, 2020. All application submitted after that date will be placed in a separate folder awaiting the outcome of the initial review. Should none of the original applicants be selected, the second set will be available for review.
This position is a “safety sensitive” position as defined by the US DOT drug and alcohol testing regulations, the Oklahoma Standards for Workplace Drug and Alcohol Testing Act and/or Oklahoma Medical Marijuana laws. The “safety sensitive” positions in the following categories may be subject to periodic random drug testing pursuant to City of Lawton Administrative Policy 3-02: Drug & Alcohol Free Workplace. Marijuana is one of the substances included in the drug panel screening. Possession of a medical marijuana license will not excuse you from the testing process, or the consequences of testing positive for marijuana. The categories listed are inclusive of City of Lawton jobs only.
- Police Officers or Peace Officers;
- Employees authorized to carry firearms;
- Employees with drug interdiction responsibilities;
- Employees that work in direct contact with inmates;
- Employees engaged in activities which directly affect the safety of others.
The duties listed in this description are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Lawton affords equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability status or genetic information. Persons selected for employment into any position must pass a drug test. Some positions may require passing an alcohol test. Previous employment and any additional experience will be subject to verification prior to employment processing. A driver’s license and driving record check will be conducted if driving is a job requirement. A post offer employment medical examination may be conducted prior to job placement.
How To Apply ?
Note: You need to have Adobe Reader installed on your device to complete the application. Download and complete the attached application in Adobe Reader. Instructions to submit application is mentioned in the application form.