ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF POSITION:
- Operates various pieces of equipment including trash compactors, track dozer, motor grader, scrapers, backhoe, dump trucks, and wood chipper.
- Operates all equipment to perform land filling duties of trash demolishing, daily, intermediate, and final cover using soils, and maintaining grades and slopes during all operations.
- Drives trucks of various sizes and weights in the loading, hauling and unloading of various equipment and materials.
- Performs required labor involved in trash compaction with emphasis on the following; providing customer direction, demolishing material, building compacted lifts of material, and keeping consistent grade.
- Temporary and permanent road construction and maintenance. Understanding and being able to construct slopes to ensure appropriate drainage, being cognizant of getting customers around landfill during inclement weather conditions.
- Obtains State Certification annually for waste screenings required by ODEQ.
- Performs routine inspection and preventative maintenance on all equipment and refers defects or needed repairs to supervisor; cleans equipment.
- Performs services on heavy equipment, engine oil changes, filter changes, obtain oil samples when necessary, replace cutting edges as needed, wood chipper maintenance of hammers, teeth, clutch torque, and screen change and clean.
- Operates a survey level and laser level during construction projects pertaining to grade and slopes of working areas/construction pads, roads, and compacted trash lifts.
- Operates all equipment in safe manner cleaning out sedimentation basins, placing soils on 4:1 slopes with heavy equipment, performing finish work on slopes.
- Assists in the training of lower level employees to increase their skills in the maintenance, construction and repair of equipment, project construction, and daily operations.
- Operates a variety of tools for maintenance and repair of equipment. Welder, cutting torch, air tools, grinders, and various other hand/power tools.
- Insures the proper maintenance of equipment and tools by cleaning and checking equipment and tools after use.
- Performs all duties in conformance to appropriate safety and security standards.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
To perform this job satisfactorily, the individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Graduation from high school or GED equivalent is preferred and two years prior experience related to construction, maintenance, and operation of landfill activities, operation of scrapers, dozers, trash compactors, motor graders, or similar equipment; or any equivalent combination of education and experience. Possession of valid driver’s license at date of hire. Possession of a Class "A" Oklahoma Commercial driver’s license or pass the written test within 30 days and obtain the license within six (6) months of employment.
- Tanker Endorsement if needed.
- Considerable knowledge of equipment, facilities, materials, methods, and procedures used in maintenance and operation of a sub title “D” landfill.
- Skill in the operation of the following tools and equipment: motor grader, scraper, bulldozer, back hoe, front end loader, motorized vehicles and equipment, including dump truck, pickup truck; saws; pumps; generators; compressors; common hand and power tools, shovels, wrenches; detection devices; mobile radio; phone; survey level; laser level.
- Ability to perform heavy manual tasks for extended periods of time; ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing; ability to work safely; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other departments and public; ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions; ability to operate survey level and laser level; ability to provide leadership for small crews.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS ON THE POSITION:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Regularly: Required to use repetitive hand motions while operating heavy equipment controls, tools, and various activities requiring you to reach with hands and arms. Required to walk, sit, climb, stoop, kneel, crouch, and/or crawl. Lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
ENVIRONMENTAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in outside weather conditions. The employee regularly works near moving mechanical parts and is regularly exposed to unsanitary, dusty, foul, wet and/or humid conditions and vibration. The employee works on various slopes operating heavy equipment and is regularly exposed to fumes or airborne particles, and toxic or caustic chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is regularly loud.
The Field Supervisor provides instruction for assignments and daily tasks to be completed by the employee; limitations, quality, and quantity expected, deadlines and priority of assignments. The supervisor gives additional, specific instructions for new, difficult, or unusual assignments. The employee uses initiative in carrying out recurring assignments independently without specific instruction. The supervisor assures the work is technically accurate and in compliance with established procedures.
The employee serves as a regular lead person for not more than four entry level unskilled and semi-skilled workers to monitor work flow, review and correct work, and direct work at a job site.
This position is a “safety sensitive” position as defined by the US DOT drug and alcohol testing regulations, the Oklahoma Standards for Workplace Drug and Alcohol Testing Act and/or Oklahoma Medical Marijuana laws. The “safety sensitive” positions in the following categories may be subject to periodic random drug testing pursuant to City of Lawton Administrative Policy 3-02: Drug & Alcohol Free Workplace. Marijuana is one of the substances included in the drug panel screening. Possession of a medical marijuana license will not excuse you from the testing process, or the consequences of testing positive for marijuana. The categories listed are inclusive of City of Lawton jobs only.
- Police Officers or Peace Officers;
- Employees authorized to carry firearms;
- Employees with drug interdiction responsibilities;
- Employees that work in direct contact with inmates;
- Employees engaged in activities which directly affect the safety of others.
FMCSA-DOT Clearinghouse Requirement:
Licensed commercial drivers are required to register and create a profile with the Federal Motor Carrier Clearinghouse at https://clearinghouse.fmcsa.dot.gov/register. Positive drug screen information shall be reported in the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s Clearinghouse. Periodic queries shall be ran on all commercial licensed drivers.
The duties listed in this description are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Lawton affords equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability status or genetic information. Persons selected for employment into any position must pass a drug test. Some positions may require passing an alcohol test. Previous employment and any additional experience will be subject to verification prior to employment processing. A driver’s license and driving record check will be conducted if driving is a job requirement. A post offer employment medical examination may be conducted prior to job placement.
How To Apply ?
Note: You need to have Adobe Reader installed on your device to complete the application. Download and complete the attached application in Adobe Reader. Instructions to submit application is mentioned in the application form.