ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF POSITION:
- Regularly operates a backhoe and track hoe in the digging of ditches; operates a front-end loader in the loading of trucks and moving dirt; operates trenching machine, winch truck and a variety of power construction and maintenance equipment.
- Regularly drives trucks of various sizes and weights in the loading, hauling and unloading of various equipment and materials.
- Responds to emergency operations when notified and participates in emergency operation schedule changes for up to 12 hrs/day, or as needed
- Regularly performs required labor involved in construction and maintenance projects to water lines, fire hydrants, valves and meters. Labor will include pavement-cutting, ditch digging, laying and connecting of pipe and backfilling.
- Regularly cuts, fits, lays, repairs, cleans and flushes water lines, gates, fire hydrants and fittings; shuts off broken sections of water mains.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Frequently assists in response to complaints regarding water leaks, pressure loss or no water.
- Frequently assists supervisors with informing public regarding water outages.
- Frequently performs routine inspection and preventative maintenance on assigned trucks and equipment and refers major defects or needed repairs to supervisor.
- Occasionally uses locating equipment to determine the location of buried water and wastewater lines.
- Frequently assists with proper traffic diversion in and around job sites with traffic cones, barricades, signs, lights and flags according to appropriate safety standards.
- Performs other duties and tasks as assigned by supervisor.
To perform this job satisfactorily, the individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience:
- Graduation from high school or GED equivalent.
- Two years prior experience related to the construction, maintenance, and repair of water lines, or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of equipment, facilities, materials, methods, techniques, tools and procedures used in the construction, maintenance and repair of water distribution systems.
- Ability to assess the job at hand and determine course of action, making necessary changes or corrections if needed, in keeping with standard procedures.
- Skill in the operation of the following tools and equipment: motorized vehicles and equipment including dump truck, pickup truck, utility truck, backhoe, track hoe, front-end loader, hydrohammer, trencher, saws, pumps, generators, compressors; common hand tools and power tools; shovels, wrenches; detection devices; mobile radio; phone.
- Ability to perform heavy manual tasks for extended periods of time; ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing; ability to work safely; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, supervisors, other departments and the public; ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions; ability to record information accurately; ability to read water atlas and road map.
- Possession of valid operator's license and a Class "A" Oklahoma Commercial driver’s license or pass the CDL written test within 30 days and pass the driving test within six (6) months of date of hire.
- Ability to drive vehicles and operate equipment in ALL weather, traffic and surface conditions.
- Possession of or the ability to obtain Class “D” Water Certification as issued by the Oklahoma Department of Environmental Quality within one year of date of hire.
Tools and Equipment
- Light and medium weight motorized vehicles and equipment, including dump truck, pick-up truck, tractor, front-end loader, track hoes, backhoes, common hand tools, large gas-operated saws, mobile radio.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS ON THE POSITION:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Regularly: Required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. The employee must frequently lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, up to 50 pounds.
Frequently: Required to stand and talk or hear, walk, sit, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and smell. The employee must frequently lift and or move up to 80 pounds
Occasionally: Smell materials to better identify or insure purity (lack of contamination).
Rarely: Lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects up to 100 pounds, including the human body
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in outside weather conditions, and is exposed to all weather extremes.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and fingers
to handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls and reach with hands and arms. The employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is regularly required to stand, walk or sit and frequently required to climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl or smell.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to ten (25) pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to one hundred (100) pounds with assistance. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distant vision, clear and peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
Frequently: Works near moving mechanical parts or in outside weather conditions.
Frequently: Works near moving mechanical parts or in outside weather conditions.
Occasionally: Exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes, toxic or caustic chemicals.
The noise level in the work environment is moderately noisy which requires hearing protection.
The work environment conditions described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the essential functions of this job, the employee regularly works near moving and vibrating mechanical parts. The employee occasionally works in high, precarious places; is occasionally exposed to fumes or air borne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals and is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock.
The employee will regularly be exposed to wet or humid conditions and will regularly be exposed to outside weather conditions of extreme heat or cold with occasional ice or snow.
The employee will frequently be working during hours of darkness and will frequently be near heavy vehicle traffic. The employee will regularly be working in or near excavations or confined spaces.
The noise level of the work environment is moderately quiet in the service vehicle; but in the field, is loud, accompanied by jolting and vibration.
First Application Review:
The first application review date will commence on October 30, 2020. All application submitted after that date will be placed in a separate folder awaiting the outcome of the initial review. Should none of the original applicants be selected, the second set will be available for review.
This position is a “safety sensitive” position as defined by the US DOT drug and alcohol testing regulations, the Oklahoma Standards for Workplace Drug and Alcohol Testing Act and/or Oklahoma Medical Marijuana laws. The “safety sensitive” positions in the following categories may be subject to periodic random drug testing pursuant to City of Lawton Administrative Policy 3-02: Drug & Alcohol Free Workplace. Marijuana is one of the substances included in the drug panel screening. Possession of a medical marijuana license will not excuse you from the testing process, or the consequences of testing positive for marijuana. The categories listed are inclusive of City of Lawton jobs only.
- Police Officers or Peace Officers;
- Employees authorized to carry firearms;
- Employees with drug interdiction responsibilities;
- Employees that work in direct contact with inmates;
- Employees engaged in activities which directly affect the safety of others.
FMCSA-DOT Clearinghouse Requirement
Licensed commercial drivers are required to register and create a profile with the Federal Motor Carrier Clearinghouse at https://clearinghouse.fmcsa.dot.gov/register. Positive drug screen information shall be reported in the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s Clearinghouse. Periodic queries shall be ran on all commercial licensed drivers.
The duties listed in this description are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Lawton affords equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability status or genetic information. Persons selected for employment into any position must pass a drug test. Some positions may require passing an alcohol test. Previous employment and any additional experience will be subject to verification prior to employment processing. A driver’s license and driving record check will be conducted if driving is a job requirement. A post offer employment medical examination may be conducted prior to job placement.
How To Apply ?
Note: You need to have Adobe Reader installed on your device to complete the application. Download and complete the attached application in Adobe Reader. Instructions to submit application is mentioned in the application form.