Operates a 52,000 GVW 20 cubic yard refuse packer and/or a 62,000 GVW Roll-on Roll-off truck in the hauling of commercial and residential refuse.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF POSITION:
- Operates trucks of various sizes and weights in the loading, hauling and unloading of refuse from residential and commercial pick-up points.
- Performs routine inspection and preventative maintenance on assigned trucks and equipment. Keeps assigned trucks and equipment clean.
- Performs service to and requests repairs on assigned equipment. Major defects are referred to supervisor.
- Performs all duties in conformance to appropriate safety and security standards.
- Performs crew chief duties.
- Occasionally performs a variety of activities when on call requiring the employee to make decisions to correct problems in after-hours situations. Must be available at all times during the assigned period.
- Performs some or all of the duties of laborer as required or assigned.
- Serves as ground guide as required.
- Graduation from high school or GED equivalent.
- Two (2) years experience involving the use of light to heavy equipment related to refuse collection and transportation.
- Considerable knowledge of equipment operating principles; working knowledge of the methods, used in refuse collection and transportation.
- Ability to understand and follow oral or written instruction and to give oral instruction; ability to observe proper safety precautions; ability to establish effective working relationships with other employees, supervisors and the public; ability to perform heavy manual tasks under varying conditions; ability to assess the job at hand and make necessary changes or corrections keeping in line with standard procedures.
- MUST have a valid Oklahoma driver’s license AND a Class "B" Oklahoma Commercial driver’s license at the time of employment.
- This position requires successful completion of a City of Lawton physical examination and drug screen as a condition of employment.
- Motorized vehicles and equipment, including roll-on/roll-off truck, refuse packer truck and related refuse collection equipment and tools.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE POSITION:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Regularly: Required to sit, see, (shape/size/distance/motion/color) use hands to finger, handle, feel, or otherwise operate equipment tools or controls. Employee regularly works in outside weather conditions.
Frequently: Required hear, speak, stand and lift and /or move up to forty (40) pounds.
Occasionally: Required to walk, climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl and lift and or move up to one hundred (100) pounds. May be exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals.
Rarely: The emphasis is on exerting up to 100 pounds of force to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects including the human body.
ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Frequently: Works near moving mechanical parts or in outside weather conditions.
Occasionally: Exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes, toxic or caustic chemicals.
Rarely: The noise level in the work environment is moderately noisy which requires hearing protection.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in outside weather conditions, and is exposed to all weather extremes. The employee usually works in and around traffic and works near moving mechanical parts. The employee occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals. The employee must be able to operate equipment and drive vehicles in ALL weather, traffic and surface conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud accompanied by jolting and vibration.
This position is a “safety sensitive” position as defined by the US DOT drug and alcohol testing regulations, the Oklahoma Standards for Workplace Drug and Alcohol Testing Act and/or Oklahoma Medical Marijuana laws. The “safety sensitive” positions in the following categories may be subject to periodic random drug testing pursuant to City of Lawton Administrative Policy 3-02: Drug & Alcohol Free Workplace. Marijuana is one of the substances included in the drug panel screening. Possession of a medical marijuana license will not excuse you from the testing process, or the consequences of testing positive for marijuana. The categories listed are inclusive of City of Lawton jobs only.
- Police Officers or Peace Officers;
- Employees authorized to carry firearms;
- Employees with drug interdiction responsibilities;
- Employees that work in direct contact with inmates;
- Employees engaged in activities which directly affect the safety of others.
FMCSA-DOT Clearinghouse Requirement
Licensed commercial drivers are required to register and create a profile with the Federal Motor Carrier Clearinghouse at https://clearinghouse.fmcsa.dot.gov/register. Positive drug screen information shall be reported in the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s Clearinghouse. Periodic queries shall be ran on all commercial licensed drivers.
The duties listed in this description are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Lawton affords equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability status or genetic information. Persons selected for employment into any position must pass a drug test. Some positions may require passing an alcohol test. Previous employment and any additional experience will be subject to verification prior to employment processing. A driver’s license and driving record check will be conducted if driving is a job requirement. A post offer employment medical examination may be conducted prior to job placement.
How To Apply ?
Note: You need to have Adobe Reader installed on your device to complete the application. Download and complete the attached application in Adobe Reader. Instructions to submit application is mentioned in the application form.