ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF POSITION:
- Clocks in each morning and, where necessary, assists driver in interpreting messages concerning previous services missed, new locations or other messages.
- Before leaving compound, assists driver in checking packer truck through the operator maintenance routine, including checking tires and fluid levels, motor oil and fuel, radiator and battery water, and assists driver in correcting all deficiencies, such as adding fluids when necessary and changing tires when flat.
- Rides inside cab with driver when moving from one location to another.
- Collects refuse from residential refuse pick-up points, usually at curbside, dumps refuse in tote barrel and when the barrel is full or sufficiently heavy, carries the tote barrel to the packer truck and dumps the contents into the hopper, then operates the compacting mechanism as necessary, continuing the procedure from house to house until the route is complete.
- Picks up, if feasible, extra refuse (other than normal refuse).
- Collects refuse from commercial refuse pick-up points, normally dumpster service, and provides guidance for drivers and assists in hooking up containers to dump refuse in hopper of truck.
- Directs the driver in backing into the area designated by the landfill operator and unbuckles the compactor mechanism for dumping of refuse from the packer truck.
- Talks with customers about the proper procedure for readying trash for pick-up in some cases, particularly in cases where too much has been packed in a can or dumpster and items are too large and need to be cut or disassembled or where containers do not meet the City code standard.
- If in possession of a valid Oklahoma driver’s license and a minimum of a CDL class B certification, may drive truck as assigned when driver is on vacation or is ill.
- Receives and follows instructions from the Foreman and Superintendent.
- Assists the driver in washing packer truck periodically, both inside and outside, to maintain its cleanliness and good appearance.
- Assists driver in spot painting the vehicle as instructed by the Foreman or Superintendent to maintain the good appearance of the packer truck.
- Performs all duties in conformance to appropriate safety and security standards.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Graduation from high school education or GED equivalent or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Some knowledge of equipment, methods and procedures used in solid waste and recyclable collection activities.
- Ability to perform heavy manual tasks for extended periods of time in a safe manner.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, supervisors, and the public.
- Ability to work in all kinds of weather.
- Knowledge of service locations along assigned route.
- Knowledge of rules and regulations regarding container size, weights and all kinds of refuse to be collected.
- This position requires successful completion of a City of Lawton physical examination and drug screen as a condition of employment.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license.
This position is a “safety sensitive” position as defined by the US DOT drug and alcohol testing regulations, the Oklahoma Standards for Workplace Drug and Alcohol Testing Act and/or Oklahoma Medical Marijuana laws. As a “safety sensitive” employee, you will be subject to drug and alcohol testing, including random testing. Marijuana is one of the substances included in the drug panel screening. Possession of a medical marijuana license will not excuse you from the testing process, or the consequences of testing positive for marijuana.
The duties listed in this description are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Lawton affords equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability status or genetic information. Persons selected for employment into any position must pass a drug test. Some positions may require passing an alcohol test. Previous employment and any additional experience will be subject to verification prior to employment processing. A driver’s license and driving record check will be conducted if driving is a job requirement. A post offer employment medical examination may be conducted prior to job placement.
How To Apply ?
Note: You need to have Adobe Reader installed on your device to complete the application. Download and complete the attached application in Adobe Reader. Instructions to submit application is mentioned in the application form.