The Solid Waste Collection division is located within the compound of the City of Lawton, Public Works Department facilities located at 2100 SW 6th Street.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF POSITION:
- Clocks in each morning and, where necessary, assists driver in interpreting messages concerning previous services missed, new locations or other messages.
- Before leaving compound, assists driver in checking packer truck through the operator maintenance routine, including checking tires and fluid levels, motor oil and fuel, radiator and battery water, and assists driver in correcting all deficiencies, such as adding fluids when necessary and changing tires when flat.
- Rides inside cab with driver when moving from one location to another.
- Collects refuse from residential refuse pick-up points, usually at curbside, dumps refuse in tote barrel and when the barrel is full or sufficiently heavy, carries the tote barrel to the packer truck and dumps the contents into the hopper, then operates the compacting mechanism as necessary, continuing the procedure from house to house until the route is complete.
- Picks up, if feasible, extra refuse (other than normal refuse).
- Collects refuse from commercial refuse pick-up points, normally dumpster service, and provides guidance for drivers and assists in hooking up containers to dump refuse in hopper of truck.
- Directs the driver in backing into the area designated by the landfill operator and unbuckles the compactor mechanism for dumping of refuse from the packer truck.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Talks with customers about the proper procedure for readying trash for pick-up in some cases, particularly in cases where too much has been packed in a can or dumpster and items are too large and need to be cut or disassembled or where containers do not meet the City code standard.
- If in possession of a valid Oklahoma driver’s license and a minimum of a CDL class B certification, may drive truck as assigned when driver is on vacation or is ill.
- Receives and follows instructions from the Foreman and Superintendent.
- Assists the driver in washing packer truck periodically, both inside and outside, to maintain its cleanliness and good appearance.
- Assists driver in spot painting the vehicle as instructed by the Foreman or Superintendent to maintain the good appearance of the packer truck.
- Performs all duties in conformance to appropriate safety and security standards.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Graduation from high school education or GED equivalent or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Some knowledge of equipment, methods and procedures used in solid waste and recyclable collection activities.
- Ability to perform heavy manual tasks for extended periods of time in a safe manner.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, supervisors, and the public.
- Ability to work in all kinds of weather.
- Knowledge of service locations along assigned route.
- Knowledge of rules and regulations regarding container size, weights and all kinds of refuse to be collected.
- This position requires successful completion of a City of Lawton physical examination and drug screen as a condition of employment.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF POSITION:
The physical demands here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical Regularly = 67% of the work time or greater;
Demands Frequently = 34% - 66% of the time;
Occasionally = 12% - 33% of the time;
Rarely = less than 1 hour in an 8-hour shift.
Regularly: Required to hear, see, (shape/size/distance/motion/color) reach with hands and arms, turn, grasp, handle, feel, and lift and carry up to 75 pounds. Also required to start/stop/observe controls for hydraulic compaction equipment. Employee regularly works in outside weather conditions.
Frequently: Required to speak, stand, sit, push and pull. Employee is exposed to wet, cold, hot, dry and /or humid conditions, noise and vibrations.
Occasionally: Required to climb, stoop, kneel, and crouch. Also exposed to fumes and airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals as well as items/objects that may be sharp, pointed or jagged. Required with assistance to lift/carry up to 100 pounds.
Rarely: Required to crawl.
The emphasis is on hand eye coordination.
ENVIRONMENTAL AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in outside weather conditions. The employee regularly works near moving mechanical parts and is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes and airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals.
The noise level in the work environment is frequently loud.
First Application Review:
The first application review date will commence on August 28, 2020. All application submitted after that date will be placed in a separate folder awaiting the outcome of the initial review. Should none of the original applicants be selected, the second set will be available for review.
This position is a “safety sensitive” position as defined by the US DOT drug and alcohol testing regulations, the Oklahoma Standards for Workplace Drug and Alcohol Testing Act and/or Oklahoma Medical Marijuana laws. The “safety sensitive” positions in the following categories may be subject to periodic random drug testing pursuant to City of Lawton Administrative Policy 3-02: Drug & Alcohol Free Workplace. Marijuana is one of the substances included in the drug panel screening. Possession of a medical marijuana license will not excuse you from the testing process, or the consequences of testing positive for marijuana. The categories listed are inclusive of City of Lawton jobs only.
- Police Officers or Peace Officers;
- Employees authorized to carry firearms;
- Employees with drug interdiction responsibilities;
- Employees that work in direct contact with inmates;
- Employees engaged in activities which directly affect the safety of others.
FMCSA-DOT Clearinghouse Requirement
Licensed commercial drivers are required to register and create a profile with the Federal Motor Carrier Clearinghouse at https://clearinghouse.fmcsa.dot.gov/register. Positive drug screen information shall be reported in the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s Clearinghouse. Periodic queries shall be ran on all commercial licensed drivers.
The duties listed in this description are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Lawton affords equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability status or genetic information. Persons selected for employment into any position must pass a drug test. Some positions may require passing an alcohol test. Previous employment and any additional experience will be subject to verification prior to employment processing. A driver’s license and driving record check will be conducted if driving is a job requirement. A post offer employment medical examination may be conducted prior to job placement.
How To Apply ?
Note: You need to have Adobe Reader installed on your device to complete the application. Download and complete the attached application in Adobe Reader. Instructions to submit application is mentioned in the application form.