ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF POSITION:
- Operates trucks of various sizes and weights in the loading, hauling and unloading of various equipment, materials and supplies.
- Operates trucks and construction or power equipment such as backhoe, front-end loader, wheeled excavator, tractor with bat wing mower, and other equipment in the construction, maintenance and repair of storm drainage systems.
- Responds to emergency operations when notified and participates in emergency operation schedule changes for up to 12 hrs/day, or as needed
- Uses equipment for digging and leveling in the construction, maintenance and repair of storm drainage systems; and for hoisting and loading tools, materials and equipment.
- Performs routine inspection and preventative maintenance on assigned trucks and equipment. Keeps assigned trucks and equipment clean. Performs service to and makes repairs on assigned equipment. Major defects are referred to the Superintendent.
- Regularly serve as crew chief to crews of two or more consisting of other equipment operators and/or temporary workers.
- Performs all duties in conformance to appropriate safety and security standards.
- Performs some or all of the duties of laborer as required or assigned.
- Serves as ground guide as required.
- Spray herbicide during needed season.
- Insures proper traffic diversion in and around job sites with traffic cones, barricades, signs, lights and flags according to appropriate safety standards. Inspects area to insure traffic diversion operates smoothly; alters as necessary. Assists as needed in controlling traffic with flags or "Slow”/”Stop" paddles.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Graduation from high school or GED equivalent.
- Four years of experience working with light equipment and around medium and heavy equipment, two of which are related to storm drainage systems.
- Considerable knowledge of equipment operating principles; working knowledge of the methods, materials and tools used in storm drainage systems.
- Possession of valid Oklahoma Operator's license at date of hire or a valid driver’s license from state of residency, and a Class "A" Oklahoma Commercial driver’s license or pass the written test within 30 days and successfully complete the driving test prior to 6 months from date of hire.
- Ability to understand and follow oral or written instruction and to give oral instruction; ability to observe proper safety precautions; ability to establish effective working relationships with other employees, supervisors and the public; ability to perform heavy manual tasks under varying conditions; ability to classify soils and perform competently on excavation sites; ability to assess the job at hand and make necessary changes or corrections keeping in line with standard procedures; ability to use engineer levels and read engineer plans.
- Ability to lay out and plan progression of job.
- Tanker Endorsement if needed.
- Skill in the operation of tools and equipment including but not limited to: motor grader, bulldozer, back hoe, front end loader, motorized vehicles and equipment, including dump truck, pickup truck, large tractor, bat wing mower, utility truck, saws, pumps, generators, compressors, common hand and power tools, shovels, wrenches, detection devices, mobile radio, phone, ditch witch, survey level, laser level.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Lawton affords equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability status or genetic information. Persons selected for employment into any position must pass a drug test. Some positions may require passing an alcohol test. Previous employment and any additional experience will be subject to verification prior to employment processing. A driver’s license and driving record check will be conducted if driving is a job requirement. A post offer employment medical examination may be conducted prior to job placement.
How To Apply ?
Option 1: Online - Adobe PDF
Note: You need to have Adobe Reader Installed on your device to submit the application online. Download or complete the attached application.
Option 2: By Mail
Return all completed application material to :Human Resources Department
212 SW 9th St
Lawton, OK 73501
Application material must be submitted no later than 5 p.m. on the closing date (postmark alone is insufficient). The closing date is listed on the job announcement or the application material.
Option 3: In Person
The Human Resources Department is located on the 2nd Floor inside City Hall.Human Resources Department
212 SW 9th St
Lawton, OK 73501