ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF POSITION:
- Operates trucks of various sizes and weights in the loading, hauling and unloading of various equipment, materials and supplies.
- Operates trucks and construction power equipment such as backhoe, track hoe, front end loader, pipe bursting and boring equipment and other equipment in the construction, maintenance and repair of sewer systems and their installation.
- Uses equipment for digging and leveling in the construction, maintenance and repair of Sewer Lines and for hoisting and loading tools, materials and equipment.
- Performs routine inspection and preventative maintenance on assigned trucks and equipment. Keeps assigned trucks and equipment clean. Performs service to and makes repairs on assigned equipment. Insures proper maintenance of all equipment. Major defects are referred to supervisor.
- Performs all duties in conformance to appropriate safety and security standards.
- Insures proper traffic diversion in and around job sites with traffic cones, barricades, signs, and flags according to appropriate safety standards. Inspects area to insure traffic diversion operates smoothly; alters as necessary.
- Performs a variety of activities when on call requiring the employee to make decisions to correct problems in after-hours situations.
- Performs some or all of the duties of laborer as required or assigned.
- Serves as ground guide as required.
- Operates a survey level and laser during construction projects.
- Must enter confined spaces.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Set up traffic control barricades according to Manuel of Uniform Traffic Control Devices.
- Graduation from high school or GED equivalent is preferrede and two (2) years experience involving the use of light and medium equipment, one (1) of which must have been related to maintenance and/or construction of street, water, storm drainage, or sewer systems.
- Working knowledge of equipment operating principles; working knowledge of the methods, materials and tools used in sewer system maintenance.
- Knowledge in safety while working around all utilities such as electric, gas, cable, telephone. Knowledge of the standard procedures of utilizing the OKIE One Call system.
- Skill in operation of listed tools and equipment: Motorized vehicles and equipment, including, pipe bursting equipment, boring equipment, fusion machine, backhoe, front-end loader, track hoe, tractor with brush-hog, street roller, tamper, plate compactor, compressors, sanders, generators, common hand and power tools and mobile radio.
- Ability to understand and follow oral or written instruction and to give oral instruction; ability to observe proper safety precautions; ability to establish effective working relationships with other employees, supervisors and the public; ability to perform heavy manual tasks under varying conditions; ability to classify soils and perform competently on excavation sites; ability to assess the job at hand and make necessary changes or corrections keeping in line with standard procedures; ability to use engineer levels and read engineer plans.
- Possession of valid driver’s license and CDL certification with a Class "A" Oklahoma Commercial driver’s license or pass the written test within 30 days and obtain one within six (6) months of employment.
- ODEQ Operators Class D Wastewater certification within one year of date of employment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Regularly: Required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. The employee must frequently lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, up to 50 pounds.
Frequently: Required to stand and talk or hear, walk, sit, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and smell. The employee must frequently lift and or move up to 80 pounds
Occasionally: Smell materials to better identify or insure purity (lack of contamination).
Rarely: Lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects up to 100 pounds, including the human body.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Lawton affords equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability status or genetic information. Persons selected for employment into any position must pass a drug test. Some positions may require passing an alcohol test. Previous employment and any additional experience will be subject to verification prior to employment processing. A driver’s license and driving record check will be conducted if driving is a job requirement. A post offer employment medical examination may be conducted prior to job placement.
How To Apply ?
Option 1: Online - Adobe PDF
Note: You need to have Adobe Reader Installed on your device to submit the application online. Download or complete the attached application.
Option 2: By Mail
Return all completed application material to :Human Resources Department
212 SW 9th St
Lawton, OK 73501
Application material must be submitted no later than 5 p.m. on the closing date (postmark alone is insufficient). The closing date is listed on the job announcement or the application material.
Option 3: In Person
The Human Resources Department is located on the 2nd Floor inside City Hall.Human Resources Department
212 SW 9th St
Lawton, OK 73501