NOTE: There are currently 2 positions OPEN
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF POSITION:
- Operates trucks of various sizes and weights in the loading, hauling and unloading of various equipment, materials and supplies.
- Operates trucks and construction or power equipment such as street sweeper, backhoe, front-end loader, tar pot, pole-cat, transport truck, oil tanker, oil distributor truck, lay down machine, sheep foot roller, steel wheel roller, tractor with brush-hog and other equipment in the construction, maintenance and repair of streets.
- Uses equipment for digging and leveling in the construction, maintenance and repair of ditches, street and for hoisting and loading tools, materials and equipment.
- Responds to emergency operations when notified and participates in emergency operation schedule changes for up to 12 hrs/day, or as needed
- Performs routine inspection and preventative maintenance on assigned trucks and equipment. Keeps assigned trucks and equipment clean. Major defects are referred to supervisor.
- Regularly serves as crew chief to crews of two or more consisting of other equipment operators and/or temporary workers.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs all duties in conformance to appropriate safety and security standards.
- Occasionally performs a variety of activities when on call requiring the employee to make decisions to correct problems in after-hours situations. Must be available at all times during the assigned period.
- Operates motor grader or bulldozer occasionally if necessary.
- Performs some or all of the duties of laborer as required or assigned.
- Serves as ground guide as required.
- Insures proper traffic diversion in and around job sites with traffic cones, barricades, signs, lights and flags according to appropriate safety standards. Assists as needed in controlling traffic with flags or "Slow 'T' Stop" paddles.
Education and Experience:
- Graduation from high school or GED equivalent is preferred.
- Two years experience involving the use of light and medium equipment, one of which must have been related to street maintenance.
- Considerable knowledge of equipment operating principles; working knowledge of the methods, materials and tools used in street maintenance.
- Skill in operation and maintenance of listed tools and equipment.
- Ability to understand and follow oral or written instruction and to give oral instruction; ability to observe proper safety precautions; ability to establish effective working relationships with other employees, supervisors and the public; ability to perform heavy manual tasks under varying conditions; ability to classify soils and perform competently on excavation sites; ability to assess the job at hand and make necessary changes or corrections keeping in line with standard procedures; ability to use engineer levels and read engineer plans.
- Ability to lay out and plan progression of job.
- Possession of operator's license and a Class "A" Oklahoma Commercial driver’s license or pass the CDL written test within 30 days and successfully complete the driving test prior to 6 months from date of hire.
- Tanker endorsement if necessary.
Tools and Equipment:
- Motorized vehicles and equipment, including street sweeper, backhoe, front-end loader, motor grader, bulldozer, transport truck, oil tanker, oil distributor truck, tractor with brush-hog, street roller, tamper, plate compactor, compressors, sanders, generators, common hand and power tools and mobile radio.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS ON THE POSITION:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Regularly: Required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. The employee must frequently lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, up to 50 pounds.
Frequently: Required to stand and talk or hear, walk, sit, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and smell. The employee must frequently lift and or move up to 80 pounds
Occasionally: Smell materials to better identify or insure purity (lack of contamination).
Rarely: Lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects up to 100 pounds, including the human body.
ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Frequently: Works near moving mechanical parts or in outside weather conditions.
Occasionally: Exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes, toxic or caustic chemicals.
The noise level in the work environment is moderately noisy which may require hearing protection. Exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes, toxic or caustic chemicals. The employee occasionally works in high, precarious places and is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals and risk of electrical shock. The employee must be able to operate equipment and drive vehicles in ALL weather and traffic conditions.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Lawton affords equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability status or genetic information. Persons selected for employment into any position must pass a drug test. Some positions may require passing an alcohol test. Previous employment and any additional experience will be subject to verification prior to employment processing. A driver’s license and driving record check will be conducted if driving is a job requirement. A post offer employment medical examination may be conducted prior to job placement.
How To Apply ?
Option 1: Online - Adobe PDF
Note: You need to have Adobe Reader Installed on your device to submit the application online. Download or complete the attached application.
Option 2: By Mail
Return all completed application material to :Human Resources Department
212 SW 9th St
Lawton, OK 73501
Application material must be submitted no later than 5 p.m. on the closing date (postmark alone is insufficient). The closing date is listed on the job announcement or the application material.
Option 3: In Person
The Human Resources Department is located on the 2nd Floor inside City Hall.Human Resources Department
212 SW 9th St
Lawton, OK 73501