ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION:
- Striping and marking of all city streets so marked for traffic control and direction.
- Fabricates, installs and maintains all signage under the jurisdiction of the City.
- Responds to emergency operations when notified and participates in emergency operation schedule changes for up to 12 hrs/day, or as needed
- Operates medium equipment such as riding paint striper, thermoplastic striper, and pole-cat.
- Operates trucks from pick-up to dump truck size in the loading, hauling and unloading of various equipment, materials and supplies.
- Works with the Police Department during parades, races, marathons and any other activity which requires the barricading and blocking of streets and proper signage for adequate warning to traffic of such activities taking place on roadways.
- Regularly performs crew chief duties in charge of small crews of two (2) or more, consisting of other Equipment Operators, laborers, or temporary workers.
- Controls traffic in and around job sites with the use of flags, signs, barricades, lighted arrow boards and traffic cones. When necessary, will direct or divert traffic with the use of "Stop"/"Slow" paddles and hand signals.
- Performs all duties in conformance to appropriate safety and security standards.
- Performs routine inspection and preventative maintenance on assigned vehicles, tools and equipment. Refers defects or needed repairs to supervisor. Keeps truck, tools and equipment clean.
- Performs some or all of the duties of laborer as required or assigned.
- Assists Electronic Maintenance in the construction, erection, and maintenance of traffic signals.
- Assists other crews within the division, and other divisions and departments when the use of a bucket truck is required.
- Occasionally serves as Field Supervisor to entire division in the absence of regular Field Supervisor.
- Occasionally operates sign repair and installation truck, bucket truck, walking paint stripers and a variety of powered hand tools.
- Occasionally performs a variety of activities when on call requiring employee to make decisions to correct problems in after-hours situations. Must be available at all times during the assigned period.
- Occasionally operates a welder and cutting torch.
- Communicates and works with the Traffic Engineer in cases where signage will change or affect traffic control.
- Maintains maps identifying the hundred blocks of all city streets, used in the fabrication of street marker signs.
- Fabricates or lends signs to other divisions, departments and entities.
- Responds to provide temporary traffic control in the case of power failure at locations controlled by traffic signal lights.
- Serves as ground guide as required or assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Graduation from high school or GED equivalent.
- Four (4) years experience working with light equipment and around medium and heavy equipment, two (2) of which must have been related to streets, traffic control systems, and property maintenance activities.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of equipment operating principles; working knowledge of the methods, materials and tools used in street, traffic control and the ability to understand and apply the standards set forth by the “Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices”.
- Skill in operation of listed tools and equipment.1-ton trucks, bucket, utility or lift trucks, walking or walk-behind paint stripers, riding paint stripers, paint sprayers and other tools for applying paint, thermoplastic equipment, propane bottles, jack hammers and air drills, compressors, generators, common hand and power tools, shovels, wrenches and mobile radios.
- Ability to understand and follow oral or written instructions; ability to observe proper safety precautions; ability to establish effective working relationships with other employees, supervisors and the public; ability to perform heavy manual tasks under varying conditions and ability to perform competently on excavation sites.
- Possession of valid operator's license and a Class "A" Oklahoma Commercial driver’s license or pass the CDL written test within 30 days and successfully complete the driving test prior to 6 months from date of hire.
- Tanker endorsement if necessary
Tools and Equipment:
- Light motorized vehicles and equipment, including dump truck, pick-up truck, walking and riding paint guns, thermoplastic machine, transport truck, pole-cat, planer, compressors, street sanders, tar pot, generators, backhoe, and common hand and power tools mobile radio.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS ON THE POSITION:
Regularly: Required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Frequently: Required to stand and talk or hear, walk, sit, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and smell. The employee must frequently lift and or move up to 50 pounds
Occasionally: Smell materials to better identify or insure purity (lack of contamination).
ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
Frequently: Works near moving mechanical parts or in outside weather conditions.
Works near moving mechanical parts or in outside weather conditions.
Occasionally: Exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes, toxic or caustic chemicals.
The noise level in the work environment is moderately noisy which requires hearing protection. Exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes, toxic or caustic chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is moderately noisy which requires hearing protection.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in outside weather conditions. The employee frequently works near moving mechanical parts and is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and vibration. The employee occasionally works in high, precarious places and is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and risk of electrical shock.
This document is a temporary management guide tool and is subject to change. The duties listed in this description are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Lawton affords equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability status or genetic information. Persons selected for employment into any position must pass a drug test. Some positions may require passing an alcohol test. Previous employment and any additional experience will be subject to verification prior to employment processing. A driver’s license and driving record check will be conducted if driving is a job requirement. A post offer employment medical examination may be conducted prior to job placement.
How To Apply ?
Option 1: Online - Adobe PDF
Note: You need to have Adobe Reader Installed on your device to submit the application online. Download or complete the attached application.
Option 2: By Mail
Return all completed application material to :Human Resources Department
212 SW 9th St
Lawton, OK 73501
Application material must be submitted no later than 5 p.m. on the closing date (postmark alone is insufficient). The closing date is listed on the job announcement or the application material.
Option 3: In Person
The Human Resources Department is located on the 2nd Floor inside City Hall.Human Resources Department
212 SW 9th St
Lawton, OK 73501