ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Operates telephone console to receive incoming calls for assistance.
- Questions caller to determine the nature of the incident and provide an initial evaluation of the type and number of personnel and equipment that are needed.
- Provide pre-arrival instructions to the caller.
- Constantly monitor the status and availability of police and fire assets.
- Operate a two-way radio to dispatch police, fire, medical and other personnel and equipment and to relay instructions and information to remote units.
- Type commands quickly and accurately on a computer keyboard to update files and maintain logbooks.
- Test communication and alarm equipment to ensure serviceability.
- Perform multiple tasks simultaneously, efficiently and effectively.
- Maintain a clean and organized workstation.
- Maintain a professional attitude.
- May occasionally perform duties of a Telecommunicator II in the event of a vacancy or absence.
- Perform other functions and tasks as assigned.
- Graduation from high school or GED. At least one year of experience operating an electronic or computerized communications console. Other combinations of experience and education that meets the minimum requirements may be substituted.
- Skill in the operation of the following tools and equipment: switchboards, two way radios, security equipment, facsimile transceivers, and a telephone device for the deaf.
- Knowledge of techniques, procedures and methods used in the operation of a public safety communications center; knowledge of computer aided dispatch and enhanced 9-1-1 equipment; general knowledge of cities and locations of highways, main streets and major buildings and geography of the City of Lawton and Fort Sill; rules and regulations of the Federal Communications Commission pertaining to radio telephone procedures.
- Ability to accurately dispatch public safety equipment in a quick and efficient manner; relay messages exactly as received; react quickly, efficiently and calmly in an emergency situation and adopt an effective course of action; ability to speak clearly and concisely in English; ability to prepare records and perform simple typing; ability to follow oral and written instructions; ability to memorize names and locations of highways, streets, and major building locations; ability to operate a data communications terminal; ability to work weekends, holidays and odd or irregular hours.
- Ability to remain alert, focused and mentally oriented at all times; ability to conduct prolonged time-on-task actions.
Must have valid typing and spelling scores (less than year old) administered through Lawton Workforce Center
1711 SW 11th St, Lawton, OK 73501
MONDAYS AND FRIDAYS ONLY 9 am- 4 pm
Applicants please schedule a test by calling (580) 357-3500
Typing score MUST be submitted with application.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit, speak and listen. The employee is occasionally required to walk. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, and controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is required to sit for prolonged periods of time. The employee must have significant range of motion with arms and hands.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. The employee’s hearing must allow for the employee to hear and understand normal and light speaking voices. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Lawton affords equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability status or genetic information. Persons selected for employment into any position must pass a drug test. Some positions may require passing an alcohol test. Previous employment and any additional experience will be subject to verification prior to employment processing. A driver’s license and driving record check will be conducted if driving is a job requirement. A post offer employment medical examination may be conducted prior to job placement.
How To Apply ?
Option 1: Online - Adobe PDF
Note: You need to have Adobe Reader Installed on your device to submit the application online. Download or complete the attached application.
Option 2: By Mail
Return all completed application material to :Human Resources Department
212 SW 9th St
Lawton, OK 73501
Application material must be submitted no later than 5 p.m. on the closing date (postmark alone is insufficient). The closing date is listed on the job announcement or the application material.
Option 3: In Person
The Human Resources Department is located on the 2nd Floor inside City Hall.Human Resources Department
212 SW 9th St
Lawton, OK 73501