ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Operates telephone console to receive incoming calls for assistance.
- Questions caller to determine the nature of the incident and provide an initial evaluation of the type and number of personnel and equipment that are needed.
- Provide pre-arrival instructions to the caller.
- Constantly monitor the status and availability of police and fire assets.
- Operate a two-way radio to dispatch police, fire, medical and other personnel and equipment and to relay instructions and information to remote units.
- Type commands quickly and accurately on a computer keyboard to update files and maintain logbooks.
- Test communication and alarm equipment to ensure serviceability.
- Perform multiple tasks simultaneously, efficiently and effectively.
- Maintain a clean and organized workstation.
- Maintain a professional attitude.
- May occasionally perform duties of a Telecommunicator II in the event of a vacancy or absence.
- Perform other functions and tasks as assigned.
- Graduation from high school or GED. At least one year of experience operating an electronic or computerized communications console. Other combinations of experience and education that meets the minimum requirements may be substituted.
- Skill in the operation of the following tools and equipment: switchboards, two way radios, security equipment, facsimile transceivers, and a telephone device for the deaf.
- Knowledge of techniques, procedures and methods used in the operation of a public safety communications center; knowledge of computer aided dispatch and enhanced 9-1-1 equipment; general knowledge of cities and locations of highways, main streets and major buildings and geography of the City of Lawton and Fort Sill; rules and regulations of the Federal Communications Commission pertaining to radio telephone procedures.
- Ability to accurately dispatch public safety equipment in a quick and efficient manner; relay messages exactly as received; react quickly, efficiently and calmly in an emergency situation and adopt an effective course of action; ability to speak clearly and concisely in English; ability to prepare records and perform simple typing; ability to follow oral and written instructions; ability to memorize names and locations of highways, streets, and major building locations; ability to operate a data communications terminal; ability to work weekends, holidays and odd or irregular hours.
- Ability to remain alert, focused and mentally oriented at all times; ability to conduct prolonged time-on-task actions.
Must have valid typing and spelling scores (less than year old) administered through Lawton Workforce Center
1711 SW 11th St, Lawton, OK 73501
MONDAYS AND FRIDAYS ONLY 9 am- 4 pm
Applicants please schedule a test by calling (580) 357-3500
Typing score MUST be submitted with application.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit, speak and listen. The employee is occasionally required to walk. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, and controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is required to sit for prolonged periods of time. The employee must have significant range of motion with arms and hands.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. The employee’s hearing must allow for the employee to hear and understand normal and light speaking voices. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
First Application Review:
The first application review date will commence on August 12, 2020. All application submitted after that date will be placed in a separate folder awaiting the outcome of the initial review. Should none of the original applicants be selected, the second set will be available for review.
This position is a “safety sensitive” position as defined by the US DOT drug and alcohol testing regulations, the Oklahoma Standards for Workplace Drug and Alcohol Testing Act and/or Oklahoma Medical Marijuana laws. The “safety sensitive” positions in the following categories may be subject to periodic random drug testing pursuant to City of Lawton Administrative Policy 3-02: Drug & Alcohol Free Workplace. Marijuana is one of the substances included in the drug panel screening. Possession of a medical marijuana license will not excuse you from the testing process, or the consequences of testing positive for marijuana. The categories listed are inclusive of City of Lawton jobs only.
- Police Officers or Peace Officers;
- Employees authorized to carry firearms;
- Employees with drug interdiction responsibilities;
- Employees that work in direct contact with inmates;
- Employees engaged in activities which directly affect the safety of others.
The duties listed in this description are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Lawton affords equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability status or genetic information. Persons selected for employment into any position must pass a drug test. Some positions may require passing an alcohol test. Previous employment and any additional experience will be subject to verification prior to employment processing. A driver’s license and driving record check will be conducted if driving is a job requirement. A post offer employment medical examination may be conducted prior to job placement.
How To Apply ?
Note: You need to have Adobe Reader installed on your device to complete the application. Download and complete the attached application in Adobe Reader. Instructions to submit application is mentioned in the application form.