Mission Statement

Welcome to the License & Permits Division. We strive to provide you with the absolute best in quality customer service and want your contact with us to be worry-free and professional in every way. The following information has been compiled to aid you in obtaining a building permit, trade license, inspection, and information on the many other services we provide. A FAQ (frequently asked questions) section is included at the bottom of this page.

Let us know how we're doing! Please fill out our customer service survey so we can improve how we serve you!

License and Permits


Main Phone Line: (580) 581-3360
Inspection Line: (580) 581-3362


(580) 581-3479


License & Permits Division
212 SW 9th Street
Lawton, OK73501-3944
United States


Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m to 5:00 pm (CLOSED FOR LUNCH FROM 12PM TO 1PM)

Send us a message

Food Handlers Class

The Food Handlers Class is hosted by the Comanche County Health Department and the department uses City Hall to conduct these classes. Any questions about the class should be directed to the Comanche County Health Department at 580-585-6699.

Available Applications and Handouts

The following are in PDF format and can be printed, but are not electronically fillable forms.

Frequently Asked Questions

Any brand new construction (If the structure existed at one time and is not there now, or it is going to be removed to make way for the new, then a building permit is required, to include sheds and fences.)


Fences (new location or when new post holes are dug)

Retaining walls

Sheds (on a permanent foundation, regardless of size, or 200 sq ft or greater in size)


Swimming Pools

Signs (permanent or temporary)

Remodels (Always call and ask first before any work begins. This is not an easy yes or no question.)



Change of use/occupancy of an existing building


For any question as to the requirement for a building permit, please call our office and ask to speak with a Plans Examiner. Questions will not cost you anything to ask, but if work is done that has to be undone, it will cost you double.


Please see the SUBMITTAL CHECKLIST FOR COMMERCIAL PERMITS an abbreviated list of what requires a permit. If you have any questions that are not addressed above, please contact our office.


The following list of work does not require a permit, but in some cases does require an inspection:

Sheds not on a permanent foundation and under 200 sq ft in size

Fences (when new post holes are not being dug)

Water tanks supported on grade

Finish or cosmetic work

Electrical maintenance and repairs

Replacement of minor parts on gas equipment that does not alter the approval

Portable gas appliances

Steam, hot or chilled water piping

Self contained refrigeration systems with ten pound or less of refrigerant

Stopping plumbing leaks without the replacement of piping or fittings

As a general rule, if service is extended, an inspection is required.

The review time is based on the scope of the project. Most small residential projects can be reviewed within 1-2 business days. Larger residential projects may take up to 1 week. Most small commercial projects are normally reviewed in less than 1 week. Larger commercial projects normally have more than one review, and the first review with revision comments sent back to contractor may take up to 2 weeks. All review time is dependent on the Plans Examiner’s and the other department's work load and the completion of the submission. Projects are reviewed in the order they are submitted. 

A plan review fee is due when the building permit application is submitted with the plans for review, and the building permit fee is due when the permit is picked up. For a list of the plan review fees and building permit fees see Lawton City Code Appendix A-Fees and Charges Chapter 6


If you own your house, you are not required to obtain a building contractor’s license or hire a licensed building contractor in order to obtain a building permit to do work at your residence, you are acting as your own building contractor. All trade work shall be done by licensed trade contractors and, all work must comply with code and be inspected by the City. All commercial projects require a licensed building contractor to obtain a building permit to do work at that location. The building contractor is responsible for the work for which a building permit is issued. The building contractor is responsible for hiring licensed trade contractors and ensuring that all the appropriate inspections are requested and passed. Note: A licensed contractor in each trade must request inspections for that trade only.

The property owner or owner’s agent. The person who is intending on doing the work should be listed as the building contractor on the building permit application. The listed building contractor must sign the building permit application, accepting responsibility for the work. If you hire a contractor to do the work, review your contract with them carefully and make sure that it specifies who is to pull the building permit and who is responsible for the work. Ultimately, the property owner is responsible for what happens on their property.

If you handle ANY non-prepackaged food, including ice, for public human consumption, then you are required to obtain a food handler’s card. 

The Food Handlers Class is hosted by the Comanche County Health Department and the department uses City Hall to conduct these classes. Any questions about the class should be directed to the Comanche County Health Department at 580-585-6699.

The fee for the Food Handler's Card is $17.25.

You must hire a licensed plumbing contractor for gas or licensed electrical contractor for electric to come out and look over the structure and meter base. Once his work is completed, the licensed contractor should call in and request an inspection. Once the inspection is passed, the gas or electric company should be able to replace your meter and restore your service .

Garage sale permits are sold at the Lawton Constitution and our office. Garage sale permits cost $5.75 and may be held up to three consecutive days. No one location is permitted to have more than 4 garage sale permits in a 12-month permit, with a minimum of 30 days between sales.