Street Division Function:
The Street division is responsible for maintenance and repair of dedicated streets and alleys through cleaning of streets, patching, paving, reconstructing surfaces and repairing utility cut repairs to streets, sidewalks, driveways and parking lots. This division is also responsible for the rapid assessment of damages, mobilization of personnel and resources, cleanup and recover operations during emergency situations that cannot be handled by routine measures.
Traffic Control Division Function:
The Traffic Control Division is responsible for; producing, installing and maintaining regulatory and non regulatory signs, maintaining traffic signals, installing and maintaining traffic and pedestrian barriers, and installing paint and thermoplastic vehicle and pedestrian lane markings. This division provides traffic control during repair operations and community events. This division also assists the street division during emergency operations.
Streets and Traffic ControlHomepage
2100 SW 6th Street
Monday to Friday, 7:00 a.m to 3:30 pm
WORK ZONE DRIVING TIPS
►Stay Alert and Minimize Distractions ►Keep Your Headlights On
• Dedicate your full attention to the roadway ►Obey the Posted Speed Limit
• Avoid changing the radio station, using a mobile phone, eating, • Workers may be present just feet away or other distractions that can remove concentration from the road • Fines may be doubled for moving traffic violations
►Pay Attention to the Road • Be prepared to slow down further if conditions indicate the need • “Listen to the signs”
• Watch brake lights on vehicles ahead ►Change Lanes Safely
• Watch traffic around you and be prepared to react • Change lanes only where pavement markings indicate, and only when traffic conditions permit
►Merge into the Proper Lane ►Follow Instructions from Flaggers
• Merge well before you reach the lane closure ►Expect the Unexpected
• Be aware that traffic patterns can change daily • Workers, work vehicles, or equipment may enter your lane without warning ►Don’t tailgate • Other vehicles may slow, stop, or change lanes unexpectedly
• Follow other vehicles at a safe distance ►Be Patient
Winter Driving Precautions
The following is a list of things drivers should be aware of when encountering sanding equipment on the roadways:
Frequently Asked Questions
Please provide a brief description of the hazard, a specific location or address, and a contact name and telephone number should further information be required.
Call (580)581-3427 or email firstname.lastname@example.org during normal business hours.
To report a hazard after normal business hours, weekends or holidays, contact Police Dispatch non emergency (580)581-3272.
**I44 is within Oklahoma Department of Transportation jurisdiction and not maintained by the City of Lawton.
Unfortunately we currently have over 200 repairs pending. Repairs are prioritized on a first case basis, with safety hazard as first priority.
Due to an extensive backlog of repairs, your driveway repair may be delayed up to one year.
Because of this delay, the City of Lawton is offering you, as the property owner, an opportunity to seek an outside contractor of your choosing to perform the repair sooner. If you choose to seek an outside contractor, the City would reimburse you for the repair costs.
It is important to note the following if you wish to exercise this option:
1. The City will compare its estimated costs to complete the
repair with the contractor's costs. The lowest rate of the two
will be reimbursed.
2. The repair area will be limited to damages incurred during
the utility repair and are at the sole discretion of the Street
3. Property ownership verification required.
4. This notice is not authorization to begin any repairs nor does
this notice obligate the City of Lawton in any way.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please obtain an estimate from your chosen contractor, and contact the Street Division.
Street & Traffic Control Superintendent
Dedicated roads within Lawton city limits are inspected periodically. Although the condition of the road is a major factor of this inspection,there are numerous other factors that are taken into consideration during these inspections to determine where limited funding should be directed. Ultimately, each ward representative makes the final selection.
If you belong to a group or organization that is interested in volunteering to keep a section of roadway right of way litter free, contact the Street Division to find out how you can help to keep Lawton Beautiful.
A STREET LIGHT is defined as: a light, usually supported by a lamp post, for illuminating a street or road.
To report outages, contact PSO at 1-888-216-3523.
A TRAFFIC LIGHT is defined as: a set of electrically operated signal lights used to direct or control traffic at intersections.
To report outages, contact the City of Lawton/Electronics division at 580-581-3418.
To maintain and enhance the streets, providing a safe transportation network in our community. Utilizing trained, dedicated, and professional personnel,with an emphasis on exceptional customer service.