ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION:
- Overhauls, repairs and maintains light trucks, cars and light fire fighting equipment; repairs centrifugal and rotary pumps; maintains and repairs small engines such as lawn maintenance, light cars, and light trucks; maintains, performs tune-up and services on vehicles 1 ½ Ton and below.
- Performs needed repairs and complete approved work, insuring that clearances, fittings, adjustments, settings, replacements and repairs are correctly and precisely made in accordance with existing technical manuals, specifications or instructions.
- Determines causes of mechanical operating problems, traces and locates defects and makes repairs to light equipment and vehicles.
- Repairs, overhauls or rebuilds engines and does other major repair of systems such as diesel, gasoline and other types of internal combustion engines, automatic and standard transmissions, drive line systems and hydraulic utility systems and controls.
- Repairs and maintains light equipment such as sedans, pickups, service vehicles, lawn equipment, weed trimmers. Repairs and maintains light duty special purpose vehicles such as light fire fighting, sewer maintenance, and water distribution light trucks which have hydraulic, pneumatic and mechanical utility systems and controls and features not commonly found on motive and ordinary transport vans, cars, and trucks.
- Fits and installs parts, pistons, piston rings, valves, bearings, gears, and cylinders to appropriate tolerances.
- Makes changes or modifications in accordance with specifications and guidelines.
- Connects, meshes, aligns and adjusts items and systems to assure proper operations of the complete system or vehicle and tests completed work to assure proper performance of equipment repaired.
To perform this job satisfactorily, the individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Knowledge of the methods, materials, tools and standard practices of the motive trade as applied to the repair and maintenance of light cars, vans, trucks and fire equipment. Knowledge of the principles of operation and maintenance of light motorized equipment.
- Knowledge of the hazards and safety precautions of the trade and the ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Knowledge of the mechanical makeup, operation and working relationship of a variety of light duty systems, assemblies and parts, including major systems such as diesel multi-fuel and gasoline engines, drive train assemblies and hydraulic lifting, loading, turning and positioning systems including their mechanical, hydraulic and pneumatic controls.
- Ability to use technical manuals, illustrations, diagrams, specifications, schematics and similar guides to make repairs and modifications.
- Ability to select the best work methods to find and correct mechanical defects and make the appropriate repairs.
- Graduation from an accredited high school, vocational school or possess a G.E.D and Five (5) years experience in maintaining and repairing motive equipment including work on fire equipment and/or cars, vans, light trucks and lawn maintenance equipment, or an equivalent combination of training and experience. ASE certified personnel are preferred but not required.
- Possession of a valid Oklahoma driver’s license at date of hire or valid driver’s license from state of residency.
- Possession of own mechanic's tools.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS ON THE POSITION:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work involves responsibility for performing skilled repair work on specialized equipment used in municipal service. Work involves application of specialized knowledge of hydraulic systems, electrical and mechanical power take-off and drive systems, and heavy equipment attachments. The employee is subject to extreme physical conditions.
Regularly: Basis is required to smell to detect presence of petroleum based products.
Frequently Required to lift or carry 20 to 100 pounds, push, pull, turn, reach, handle, finger, grasp, stand, walk, speak, see, (shape/size/distance/motion/color), and hear, also required to handle shop tools and start/stop/observe panels and equipment.
Occasionally Required to climb, stoop, kneel, crouch, sit, and touch.
Rarely: Required to crawl.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job.
Regularly: Exposure to methane gas, hydrogen sulfide and other toxic gases and fumes; petroleum products such as gasoline, diesel and solvents .
Frequently: Exposure to heat, cold, wetness, dust, dirt, and noise.
Occasionally: Overtime for: call-out for emergency equipment repairs.
This document is a temporary management guide tool and is subject to change. The duties listed in this description are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Lawton affords equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability status or genetic information. Persons selected for employment into any position must pass a drug test. Some positions may require passing an alcohol test. Previous employment and any additional experience will be subject to verification prior to employment processing. A driver’s license and driving record check will be conducted if driving is a job requirement. A post offer employment medical examination may be conducted prior to job placement.
How To Apply ?
Option 1: Online - Adobe PDF
Note: You need to have Adobe Reader Installed on your device to submit the application online. Download or complete the attached application.
Option 2: By Mail
Return all completed application material to :Human Resources Department
212 SW 9th St
Lawton, OK 73501
Application material must be submitted no later than 5 p.m. on the closing date (postmark alone is insufficient). The closing date is listed on the job announcement or the application material.
Option 3: In Person
The Human Resources Department is located on the 2nd Floor inside City Hall.Human Resources Department
212 SW 9th St
Lawton, OK 73501