NOTE: There are currently 2 positions OPEN
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF POSITION:
- Operates trucks from pick-up to dump truck size in the loading, hauling and unloading of various equipment, materials and supplies.
- Operates sign repair and installation truck, walking paint stripers and a variety of powered hand tools.
- Assists in the construction, repair and maintenance of streets, ditches, storm drainage systems, street striping and traffic control in and around job sites, and general property maintenance.
- Occasionally performs crew chief duties in charge of small crews of two (2) or more, consisting of other Equipment Operators or temporary workers.
- Performs routine inspection and preventative maintenance on assigned trucks and equipment. Keeps assigned equipment clean. Performs service to and makes repairs on assigned equipment. Major defects are referred to supervisor.
- Performs all duties in conformance to appropriate safety and security standards.
- Occasionally operates medium equipment, only as necessary.
- Performs some or all of the duties of laborer as required or assigned.
- Serves as ground guide as required or assigned.
- Controls traffic in and around job sites with the use of flags, signs, barricades, lighted arrow boards and traffic cones. When necessary, will direct traffic with the use of "Stop"/"Slow" paddles and hand signals.
- Occasionally performs a variety of activities when on call requiring employee to make decisions to correct problems in after-hours situations. Must be available at all times during the assigned period.
Education and Experience:
- Graduation from high school or GED equivalent.
- Four years experience working with light equipment and around medium and heavy equipment, two of which must have been related to street construction or maintenance.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of equipment operating principles; working knowledge of the methods, materials and tools used in street maintenance.
- Ability to understand and follow oral or written instructions; ability to observe proper safety precautions; ability to establish effective working relationships with other employees, supervisors and the public; ability to perform heavy manual tasks under varying conditions and ability to perform competently on excavation sites.
- Ability to read, write and perform mathematical calculations at the 12th grade level.
Tools and Equipment:
- Skill in operation of listed tools and equipment.
- Light motorized vehicles and equipment, including dump truck, pick-up truck, tamper, planner, compressors, sanders, generators, large tractor, front-end loader, backhoe, and common hand and power tools mobile radio.
- Possession of valid driver’s license and a Class "B" Oklahoma Commercial driver’s license or pass the written test within 30 days and successfully complete the driving test prior to 6 months from date of hire.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE POSITION:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Regularly: Required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. The employee must frequently lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, up to 50 pounds.
Frequently: Required to stand and talk or hear, walk, sit, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and smell. The employee must frequently lift and or move up to 80 pounds
Occasionally: Smell materials to better identify or insure purity (lack of contamination).
Rarely: Lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects up to 100 pounds, including the human body.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Lawton affords equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability status or genetic information. Persons selected for employment into any position must pass a drug test. Some positions may require passing an alcohol test. Previous employment and any additional experience will be subject to verification prior to employment processing. A driver’s license and driving record check will be conducted if driving is a job requirement. A post offer employment medical examination may be conducted prior to job placement.
How To Apply ?
Option 1: Online - Adobe PDF
Note: You need to have Adobe Reader Installed on your device to submit the application online. Download or complete the attached application.
Option 2: By Mail
Return all completed application material to :Human Resources Department
212 SW 9th St
Lawton, OK 73501
Application material must be submitted no later than 5 p.m. on the closing date (postmark alone is insufficient). The closing date is listed on the job announcement or the application material.
Option 3: In Person
The Human Resources Department is located on the 2nd Floor inside City Hall.Human Resources Department
212 SW 9th St
Lawton, OK 73501