ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF POSITION:
- Operates trucks of various sizes and weights in the loading, hauling and unloading of various equipment, materials and supplies.
- Operates trucks and construction power equipment such as backhoe, track hoe, front end loader, and other equipment in the construction, maintenance and repair of streets, storm drainage systems, sewer systems and in the installation, maintenance and repair of traffic signals.
- Responds to emergency operations when notified and participates in emergency operation schedule changes for up to 12 hrs/day, or as needed
- Uses equipment for digging and leveling in the construction, maintenance and repair of ditches, streets and storm drainage systems; and for hoisting and loading tools, materials and equipment.
- Performs routine inspection and preventative maintenance on assigned trucks and equipment. Keeps assigned trucks and equipment clean. Performs service to and makes repairs on assigned equipment. Insures proper maintenance of all equipment. Major defects are referred to supervisor.
- Performs all duties in conformance to appropriate safety and security standards.
- Insures proper traffic diversion in and around job sites with traffic cones, barricades, signs, and flags according to appropriate safety standards. Inspects area to insure traffic diversion operates smoothly; alters as necessary.
- Graduation from high school or GED equivalent is preferred.
- Two (2) years experience involving the use of light and medium equipment, one (1) of which must have been related to maintenance and/or construction of street, water, storm drainage, or sewer systems.
- Working knowledge of equipment operating principles; working knowledge of the methods, materials and tools used in street, water, storm drainage and sewer systems. Knowledge in safety while working around all utilities such as electric, gas, cable, telephone. Knowledge of the standard procedures of utilizing the OKIE One Call system. Skill in operation of listed tools and equipment.
- Ability to understand and follow oral or written instruction and to give oral instruction; ability to observe proper safety precautions; ability to establish effective working relationships with other employees, supervisors and the public; ability to perform heavy manual tasks under varying conditions; ability to classify soils and perform competently on excavation sites; ability to assess the job at hand and make necessary changes or corrections keeping in line with standard procedures; ability to use engineer levels and read engineer plans.
- Motorized vehicles and equipment, including, backhoe, front-end loader, track hoe, tractor with brush-hog, street roller, tamper, plate compactor, compressors, sanders, generators, common hand and power tools and mobile radio.
- Possession of valid operator's license and a Class "A" Oklahoma Commercial driver’s license or pass the CDL written test within 30 days and successfully complete the driving test prior to 6 months from date of hire.
- Possession of or the ability to obtain a Class “D” Wastewater certification from the Oklahoma Department of Environmental Quality within one year of date of employment.
- Performs a variety of activities when on call requiring the employee to make decisions to correct problems in after-hours situations.
- Performs some or all of the duties of laborer as required or assigned.
- Serves as ground guide as required.
- Operates a survey level and laser during construction projects.
- Must enter confined spaces.
- Other duties as assigned.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE POSITION:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Regularly: Required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Frequently: Required to stand and talk or hear, walk, sit, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and smell. The employee must frequently lift and or move up to 50 pounds.
Occasionally: Smell materials to better identify or insure purity (lack of contamination) and lift and move up to 100 pounds.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Lawton affords equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability status or genetic information. Persons selected for employment into any position must pass a drug test. Some positions may require passing an alcohol test. Previous employment and any additional experience will be subject to verification prior to employment processing. A driver’s license and driving record check will be conducted if driving is a job requirement. A post offer employment medical examination may be conducted prior to job placement.
How To Apply ?
Option 1: Online - Adobe PDF
Note: You need to have Adobe Reader Installed on your device to submit the application online. Download or complete the attached application.
Option 2: By Mail
Return all completed application material to :Human Resources Department
212 SW 9th St
Lawton, OK 73501
Application material must be submitted no later than 5 p.m. on the closing date (postmark alone is insufficient). The closing date is listed on the job announcement or the application material.
Option 3: In Person
The Human Resources Department is located on the 2nd Floor inside City Hall.Human Resources Department
212 SW 9th St
Lawton, OK 73501