- Administrative Policy 10-1 Publicizing Unscheduled Water Service Interruptions
Administrative Policy 10-1 Publicizing Unscheduled Water Service Interruptions
SUBJECT: PUBLICIZING UNSCHEDULED WATER SERVICE INTERRUPTIONS
PURPOSE: To establish policies and procedures to insure rapid notification of affected customers when major unexpected water service interruptions occur. To formalize and standardize publicizing procedures so the Lawton community is alerted to major water service problems and status of restoring service.
BACKGROUND: Providing continuous uninterrupted water service to the city is one of the major responsibilities of the City of Lawton. It is a goal to provide this service without unscheduled interruptions. However, breaks in water delivery systems occur unexpectedly which require emergency repairs, sometimes for extended periods of time, during which time water service is interrupted. Numerous people, functions and activities are affected which prompts many telephone calls to city offices inquiring into the status of the service and causing further delays in restoring the service.
Historically public announcements through the various news media, radio and television, reduce the number of telephone calls and the resultant delays.
PROCEDURES: 1. Public Works Department is responsible for providing and maintaining water service for the city. When an interruption in the delivery system occurs, Public Works Department immediately dispatches the necessary maintenance crew to resolve the problem.
2. When the interruption is caused by a delivery system of 12" or larger, it is considered a major break and the supervisor at the site will take the following actions:
A. Determine area of the city affected and estimate time water service will be restored.
B. Notify the following news media of the delivery system break, the area affected, and estimated time when water service will be restored. Should the stations be closed, they will be notified as soon as is practical after they have opened.
1) KCCO and KRLG Radio. Telephone production man at 355-1051 from 4:00 A.M. until 8:00 P. M. Then until 2:00 a. M. telephone 355-0098. From 2:00 A. M. to about 4:00 a. M. the radio station is closed.
2) KSWO Radio and Television. Telephone radio station news room at 355-1380 between 5:30 A. M. and 8:30 A. M. Between 8:30 A. M. and 5:00 P. M., telephone news rooms at both radio (355-1380) and
television (355-7000) stations. Between 5:00 P. M. and 11:00 P. M. , telephone television station. Between 11:00 P. M. and 5:30 A. M., the stations are closed.
3) KLAW Radio. Telephone news room at 357-2860 from 8:30 A. M. to 5:30 P. M. At other times, telephone on-duty announcer at 357-1015.
C. Notify critical businesses and industries in the area affected so that necessary actions can be taken. Critical businesses include activities where water is essential to perform function or prevent damage to equipment, i.e. fire department, manufacturers, nursing homes, hospitals, stores, etc.
D. If it is necessary to revise the estimated time when water service will be restored, the news media will be immediately notified of the change.
E. The various news media will be informed when water service has been restored.
RESCISSION: This policy becomes effective April 11, 1978, and will remain in effect until rescinded.
ROBERT E. METZINGER