- Council Policy 8-2 Additional access requirements for section line roads and arterial streets which have limited access rights
Council Policy 8-2 Additional access requirements for section line roads and arterial streets which have limited access rights
SUBJECT: Additional access requirements for section line roads and arterial streets which have limited access rights.
PURPOSE: To establish a policy which will provide for the fair and equitable consideration of requests for ingress and egress, and which will insure the safe and effective movement of traffic along section line roads and other arterial streets which have limited access rights. This policy shall not apply to limited access facilities controlled by the Oklahoma Department of Transportation.
BACKGROUND: Certain section line roads and arterial streets were developed with limited access rights to provide for a more safe and efficient flow of traffic. This is especially true for roadways that were constructed by the Oklahoma Department of Transportation. These road ways were constructed pursuant to a matching funds contract wherein the City obtained the right-of-way, including the access rights. These rights were controlled by the Oklahoma Department of Transportation but many of these roadways have since been transferred to the City of Lawton, including the transfer of the “title documents”. As these roadways are no longer classified as State Highways, the release of a portion of these access rights may be warranted. These roads include Quanah Parker Trailway, from NW 47th Street west to US Hwy 62, Lee Boulevard, from SW 52nd Street west to SW 112th Street, and other locations as determined appropriate. The City of Lawton was required to purchase all of the rights-of-way for these facilities including the limited access rights. The fee set forth by this policy will provide partial reimbursement to the City for those costs. This policy will support development along these roadways by allowing additional access locations and also include design controls to provide for the public safety.
1. Access to section line roads and other arterial streets as noted above shall only be from an approved location as indicated on the attached Exhibit “A”. Collector streets shall be required at the locations as indicated.
2. If requested by the owner/developer, the Traffic Engineer may allow access locations to be varied from those indicated on Exhibit “A” provided that:
a. The requested location does not interfere with any existing access location or any future access locations indicated for adjacent properties. A traffic impact analysis provided by the owner/developer may be required in order to satisfy this provision.
b. The total number of access locations within any ¼ mile section of section line road or arterial street is not increased.
c. The distance from the section line road or arterial street to the first access location on the approach side of the intersection shall not be less than the 330 ft when measured centerline to centerline.
3. No additional median breaks will be allowed.
4. All street/driveway connections to a section line road or arterial street shall be constructed according to current City standards and/or as approved by the City Engineer. A deceleration/right turn lane is required for all street and driveway connections to a section line road or arterial street. The minimum dimensions of the right turn lane shall be as indicated on the Right Turn Lane Detail included on Exhibit “A”, or as determined within an approved traffic impact analysis provided by the owner/developer.
5. The typical section shall match the structural strength of the roadway section and shall include a minimum 8” P.C. concrete surface layer. All work shall be performed by the developer or owner.
6. The developer or owner desiring to construct access to a section line road or arterial street as noted above shall pay a fee amount of $10,000 per street or driveway location and shall provide all the documentation required for release of that portion of the limited access right. The amount of limited access right to be released shall be only that amount required to accommodate a new roadway or driveway constructed to meet Lawton city code.
7. All existing or newly created parcels, lots, or blocks must have direct access to either an existing access point or an access location created through this policy, or a public frontage road or other public street must be provided.
RESPONSIBLE DEPARTMENT: Public Works
EFFECTIVE/RECISSION DATE: This Council Policy shall remain in effect until such time as a new policy is adopted.
John P. Purcell, Jr.
July 24, 2007