- Chapman, Gill, Hampton win Lawton City Council Seats
Chapman, Gill, Hampton win Lawton City Council Seats
Lawton City Council will have a new face on the dais following the August 23rd Special Election.
George Gill won the race for Ward 4 with 44.73% of the vote. Though he did not receive 51% of the vote, the Comanche County Election Board and the Comanche County District Attorney named Gill the winner, following the unfortunate passing of his opponent, Barbara Curry who received 28.61% of the vote.
The Oklahoma State Statute and City of Lawton Charter states “If one of the two candidates for an office nominated in a primary election dies or withdraws before the general election, the remaining candidate shall be elected to that office; and his name need not appear on the ballot for the general election.”
Incumbent Linda Chapman will remain the Ward 3 City Councilmember after receiving 71.93% of the vote.
Alan Hampton did not draw an opponent and will remain the Ward 5 City Councilmember.
We’d like to congratulate Gill, Chapman and Hampton. They will be sworn into office on January 9, 2023.
The terms of elected officials in the positions of WARD 3, WARD 4 and WARD 5 will expire in January 2023. Public information regarding running for the offices is as follows.
- The filing period will take place June 13-15. Contact the Comanche County Election Board at 580-353-1880 for more information on this process.
- Responsibilities of elected officials are outlined in the City Charter and include the following: Approving ordinances, resolutions and contracts, including but not limited to property sales, acquisitions and leases as well as major purchases of materials, equipment and services required by the City. With the advice and assistance of the City Manager, the Council reviews proposals for community needs, initiates action for new programs and determines the ability of the City to provide financing for City activities.
- Ward maps can be viewed here. Those wishing to run for WARD 3, WARD 4 or WARD 5 must live in those respective wards.
- Election Day is August 23, 2022. If necessary, a runoff will be held Nov. 8, 2022.
- Questions may be directed to the office of the City Clerk at 580-581-3305 or @email.
- Those who live in WARD 3, WARD 4 and WARD 5 that wish to vote in the election should be registered to vote by July 29. Information on how to register to vote is available online at okvoterportal.okelections.us or by contacting the Comanche County Election Board at 580-353-1880.