Exterior Housing Improvement

Low-income households in need of exterior housing repairs may qualify for assistance.

How Do I Qualify for an Exterior Housing Improvement?

The Exterior Housing Improvement Program is designed to assist low-income households with exterior housing repairs who own their own home and occupy the home as their primary residence. Examples of repairs might include replacing damaged siding, replacing drafty windows, or replacing damaged soffit and/or fascia.

What is a Low-Income Household?

Households with a total annual household income of no more than 50% of the median income for the area are considered by this program as low-income.  Income limit charts are revised annually and can be found at the bottom of this page in the Downloads Sections or at the Housing & Community Development Office.

Who Do I Include in my Household?

Anyone who occupies or lives in the home.

What All is Included in Determining my Household Income?

Wages from a Job

Retirement Benefits or Pension

Public Assistance (TANIF, WIC, etc.)

Social Security Benefits

Child Support or Alimony

Business Income

Anyone 18 years old or older who has an income, must provide their income information and be included in the household income calculation.

Any Other Qualifications?

Property Taxes must be current

Property owner must have clear title to the property

Mortgage (if applicable) must be current

Water Bill must be current

Property must not have any outstanding property code violations or liens (such as high weeds and grass, debris, junk vehicles, etc.)

Sounds Too Easy! What’s the Catch?

The household is only eligible for one (1) exterior housing improvement in a 12 month period.

The repair assistance is in the form of a grant and therefore the homeowner is not expected to repay any portion of the assistance provided, the homeowners remain in and occupy the home as their primary residence for a minimum of 1 year after the completion of the project.

The homeowner must submit a claim to their homeowners insurance company for repairs covered by their insurance policy prior to any assistance being provided for such repairs.

For any repairs costing more than $5,000.00, the homeowner must pay the difference prior to any assistance being provided by the City.

Homeowners may be required to remove personal items or accessory structures away from the exterior of the house to allow the contractor enough room to complete repairs.  Landscaping may also be required to be cut back or removed.

Not all repairs requested by the homeowner are guaranteed to be completed.

How Do I Apply for Assistance?

Assistance applications may be found at the bottom of this page in the Download Section or picked up at the Housing & Community Development Office.

Submittal Requirements:

  • Complete Application
  • Social Security Cards for all household members and Driver’s Licenses
  • Bank Statements for all accounts from the last two months
  • Pay Stubs for the last two months
  • Public Assistance Benefit Letter
  • Social Security Benefit Letter
  • VA Benefit Letter
  • Retirement Benefit Letter
  • Child Support Statement from DHS
  • Divorce Decree
  • Last Year’s Tax Return
  • Proof of Property Ownership
  • Most Recent Mortgage Statement
  • Homeowner’s Insurance Certificate

The above list of requirements may not apply to all applicants.  Some circumstance may require additional information.

Completed applications along with all required documentation will need to be hand delivered to the Housing & Community Development Office.  All household members 18 years old or older will have additional paperwork to sign in our office.

I’ve Applied, What’s Next?

Staff reviews application packet and conducts all required verifications

Applicant is conditional approved for assistance

Staff contacts homeowner to schedule a walk-through and evaluation of the home/repairs

Staff sends out bid invitations and receives bids for the required work

Homeowner signs all required documents

Staff contacts contractor and approves exterior work to begin

It may take up to a year after application submittal to receive an exterior housing improvement depending on the number of applications and funding levels


This content has been published by:

Housing and Community Development

Visit Web page

The mission of Housing & Community Development is to improve the quality of life for the community we serve by providing assistance to public service ...


580 581 3347


1405 SW 11th Street
Lawton, OK73501
United States